Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Tile and Grout Cleaning

in N. Ireland
5 replies 1.2K views
Can anyone on the forum recommend a good reliable company for Tile and Grout cleaning and sealing please - our tiles are porcelain and we could like them cleaned and possibly sealed. We have noticed a few people in the local paper but thought we would try here for recommendations

Thanks

Replies

• Can anyone on the forum recommend a good reliable company for Tile and Grout cleaning and sealing please - our tiles are porcelain and we could like them cleaned and possibly sealed. We have noticed a few people in the local paper but thought we would try here for recommendations

Thanks

As far as I know you don't have to "Seal" porcelain tiles..... It's natural tiles like marble or granite which you have to seal, not porcelain!!
  • I wouldnt have a clue to be honest - i thought you could seal the grout so no dirt can get in after it is cleaned?
  • Grout will get dirty. fact of life. That's why I've always stayed away from white whenever having tiling done..... especially on floors....

I'm certain you dont have to/can't seal porcelain tiles.. as for the grout.. if it's just a bit grubby, you could try bleach and a bit of elbow grease.... if it's really really bad, best thing to do is rake it out and re-grout.... bit of a pain in the a$$ and not many tilers like doing it..
  • CLCL Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    As far as I know you don't have to "Seal" porcelain tiles..... It's natural tiles like marble or granite which you have to seal, not porcelain!!

It depends on whether they are factory sealed or not. We needed to seal our porcelain tiles as they were not factory sealed and would stain easily, this was printed on the box. The reason we got ones that were not pre-sealed was that they were less than half the price. We then bought sealant and our tiler used a paint tray and emulsion roller to roll it over the cleaned tiles. I think we used something like this:

vitrex-qc1100-porcelain-impregnator-sealer.jpg
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    our tiles came already sealed - only needed to worry about cut edges

Grout is going to get dirty. We have grey grout, its only been down two months and already its not looking as "new" TBH I prefer a lived in look - too pristine and Id be scared to have a coffee or a glass of the red stuff :)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals