Independent Student or not?

Hello,

I have a quick question that I hope someone will be able to answer. I know that if you are aged 25 you are automatically classed as an independent student when enrolling at University (or actually do you have to be over 25?...)- but I'm not sure exactly when you need have turned 25.

I will be starting a 2 year postgraduate degree in September 2013 - I also turn 25 in September 2013. My birthday has always been just before the official start of the course, but would be after the date for completing the application for students loans etc. My questions is as I will be 25 when the course starts, will I be classed as independent, or do you need to be 25 when you apply for the loan?

I should also mention that I am aware that most people do not get student loans for postgraduate degrees, but as I am studying Architecture, the student loans company have confirmed that they will provide tuition fee and maintenance loans for the MArch RIBA Part 2.

Cheers

Comments

• For some universities the MArch is still classed as an undergrad degree so that you can get the funding. It can be seen as a continuation from the first 3 years so you need to check the details. If you like you are doing a 3 + 2 undergrad degree like town planning(MPlan) is a 3 + 1
    I don't know how student finance will view it though, you will need to check (might not be classed as a new application). This must be a common query though because many students rejoin the masters stage at about your age.
    There are three types of people in this world. Those who can count and those who can't.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    SFE will fund both parts of the architecture course.

You must be 25 before the 1st September to be classed as independent if your course is an autumn start. The actual wording is "before the first day of the academic year", so if the course is a Jan start, it's before the 1st January.
  • Robster88
    Robster88 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for your advice.

Yes I contacted SFE to check about the funding for the second part of the Architecture degree and they confirmed they would fund the second part whenever I decide to go back. Whether or not I will have to pay the new increased tuition fees is another matter and I believe at the discretion of the University?

Unfortunately, I won't be 25 before the 1st of September for the first year of the course, as my birthday is a couple of weeks later, which is what I feared. Hmpf.
  • Taiko
    Taiko Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Plus side, you'll qualify when you enter year two!

If you have done 3 cumulative years of self-supporting, and can evidence it, you can still become an independent student for the first year. Would be looking at P60's, payslips etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure