admiral's behaviour not very admirable

New Post Advanced Search

admiral's behaviour not very admirable

edited 12 October 2012 at 2:14PM in Old Threads
2 replies 866 views
torontoboy45torontoboy45 Forumite
1.1K posts
edited 12 October 2012 at 2:14PM in Old Threads
I'll try to make this short; my car was insured through admiral until nov. '11. the policy automatically renewed with a hefty increase in premium. what happened next was my fault; I cancelled the DD but forgot to tell admiral.

shortly after I rec'd a letter informing me that the policy was cancelled but I owed £70 for one week's insurance.

given that I was never going to make a claim during that one week (by virtue of insuring elsewhere) I considered the fee punitive and replied in a letter as such, but enclosed what I thought was a reasonable sum (£20) for admin costs. I did not receive a response and the cheque remains uncashed.

nearly a yr on and I've rec'd 4 letters from a DCA (scotcall) threatening house calls and co.court. today I received a 5th.

I haven't responded to any of these, taking the view if they're sure of their ground, doing court would be an obvious option.

but the threat-o-grams keep coming and I'm getting bored. can anyone tell me what the outcome of my non-responding is likely to lead, after nearly a yr?

p.s. the original demand increased to £90+ after the DCA became involved.

Replies

• JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't responded to any of these, taking the view if they're sure of their ground, doing court would be an obvious option.

but the threat-o-grams keep coming and I'm getting bored. can anyone tell me what the outcome of my non-responding is likely to lead, after nearly a yr?
    I'm afraid to say I think it will lead you to court.
    You yourself admit that it was your fault for not telling Admiral.
    If you can get away with just £90 at this point I would bite their hand off.
  • CAB_National_RepresentativeCAB_National_Representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    220 posts
    I'll try to make this short; my car was insured through admiral until nov. '11. the policy automatically renewed with a hefty increase in premium. what happened next was my fault; I cancelled the DD but forgot to tell admiral.

shortly after I rec'd a letter informing me that the policy was cancelled but I owed £70 for one week's insurance.

given that I was never going to make a claim during that one week (by virtue of insuring elsewhere) I considered the fee punitive and replied in a letter as such, but enclosed what I thought was a reasonable sum (£20) for admin costs. I did not receive a response and the cheque remains uncashed.

nearly a yr on and I've rec'd 4 letters from a DCA (scotcall) threatening house calls and co.court. today I received a 5th.

p.s. the original demand increased to £90+ after the DCA became involved.

Hi torontoboy - as we do on our Adviceguide website, we'd recommend that you contact either our Consumer Helpline (08454 040506, Mondays to Fridays, 9am to 5pm) or your local bureau for advice on where you stand, and as soon as possible given the number of letters you've received. And it would be a good idea to have any contracts and letters to hand, either when you phone or visit in person.

We hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support