New Post Advanced Search

mixed age couple and universal credit

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
3 replies 1.8K views
scrumpyjaxscrumpyjax Forumite
114 posts
Eighth Anniversary
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
I'm very concerned about the new universal credit system. I'm 65 next May, have no private pension,and it looks like I could lose a lot under the new rules. My wife is younger than me, works part time and we have 2 kids to consider. so I really need to get a sound plan going.
I've read on some forums that it may even be financially better for couples to live apart ;)
Can the CAB help me with advice about options etc and the best way to make the most of whats available please?:D
I've had a look at the DWP website but it didn't help.
The only good thing I found was that the new credits won't be rolled out until October 2013.

Replies

• TiddlywinksTiddlywinks Forumite
    5.8K posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    scrumpyjax wrote: »
    I'm very concerned about the new universal credit system. I'm 65 next May, have no private pension,and it looks like I could lose a lot under the new rules. My wife is younger than me, works part time and we have 2 kids to consider. so I really need to get a sound plan going.
    I've read on some forums that it may even be financially better for couples to live apart ;)
    Can the CAB help me with advice about options etc and the best way to make the most of whats available please?:D
    The only good thing I found was that the new credits won't be rolled out until October 2013.

So, you've come on here to get the CAB to show you how best to commit fraud?

Splitting up? With your little winky smiley?

Yeah, that'll work - 'cos I bet they haven't seen that done before!
    :hello:
  • jackyannjackyann Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You will do best to look at the directgov. website and gather all the information you can, about how taxes / working tax credit may affect you etc. There are sections on working out finances when children are involved etc.
    I think you can probably work it out yourself, if you are entitled to the basic State Pension on the basis of your NI contributions, but if it gets complicated, then I would take the information to a local centre that can help, such as Sure Start, Welfare Rights or local CAB.
  • CAB_National_RepresentativeCAB_National_Representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    220 posts
    scrumpyjax wrote: »

Hi scrumpyjax - we'd recommend that you get in touch with your local bureau for advice on where you might stand, as soon as possible. Not all elements of Universal Credit will roll-out at the same time, and added to which there's also changes in whether it is central Government or local authorities who manage parts of the new system (with transfers both ways). There will also be several systems running in parallel until 2017, which won't make things any simpler.

And we'd recommend that you keep an eye on our Adviceguide website, where we'll post updates on the roll-out of Universal Credit and all the changes to benefits.

We hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support