New Post Advanced Search

UKPC Parking Charge Debt

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
5 replies 1.9K views
Fern0305Fern0305 Forumite
18 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
Hi,

I realize this topic has been talked about extensively on forums but I am keen to get a up to date response about parking tickets from private companies such as UKPC.

I received a parking ticket from this company while parked on private land (Matalan) in Northern Ireland. Having listened to the recent media coverage (Watchdog) on this I decided to ignore the charges. It was for parking slightly over the white line.

I have just received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus who are now pursuing the outstanding balance (£150) on behalf of UKPC. I have been advised this may result in a county court judgement if I do not pay. I have been told these parking charges from private parking companies are not legally enforceable and they rarely take people to court as they most likely will not win. I also haven't contacted them in anyway.

My concern is will this affect my credit rating? I plan to apply for a mortgage in the coming months and need to avoid any marks on my current good credit rating. It is my understanding my credit rating can only be affected if they take me to court, win and I do not pay the fine within 1 month. However I am not sure if this is correct or if maybe the law is different in N.Ireland in relation to parking charges,

Thanks

Replies

• worried_jimworried_jim
    11.6K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will not effect your credit rating, they are just empty threats as part of a scam. Just pop any letters from them staright in the bin and have a nice life. Easy.
  • 00ec2500ec25
    9.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    as Fergie so rightly pointed out there is a whole board here in MSE devoted to parking

Also it was discussed on the CAB board only a few days ago, but you will notice that CAB is not prepared to tackle the scam head on and so spouts the party line http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4171987&highlight=parking

Also there is a dedicated website with real lawyers on it devoted to advising on court action at http://forums.pepipoo.com/. You will probably get a better response on there to your NI specific context
  • CAB_National_RepresentativeCAB_National_Representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    220 posts
    Fern0305 wrote: »
    Hi,

I realize this topic has been talked about extensively on forums but I am keen to get a up to date response about parking tickets from private companies such as UKPC.

I received a parking ticket from this company while parked on private land (Matalan) in Northern Ireland. Having listened to the recent media coverage (Watchdog) on this I decided to ignore the charges. It was for parking slightly over the white line.

I have just received a letter from Debt Recovery Plus who are now pursuing the outstanding balance (£150) on behalf of UKPC. I have been advised this may result in a county court judgement if I do not pay. I have been told these parking charges from private parking companies are not legally enforceable and they rarely take people to court as they most likely will not win. I also haven't contacted them in anyway.

My concern is will this affect my credit rating? I plan to apply for a mortgage in the coming months and need to avoid any marks on my current good credit rating. It is my understanding my credit rating can only be affected if they take me to court, win and I do not pay the fine within 1 month. However I am not sure if this is correct or if maybe the law is different in N.Ireland in relation to parking charges,

Thanks

Hi Fern - it's quite possible that the law is different in Northern Ireland, and our CAB representatives are only covering England & Wales at the moment. The Northern Ireland section of Adviceguide doesn't seem to cover this topic at the moment. However, it's our sister organisation (NIACAB) over there that helps us with the information. We'd recommend that you contact your local bureau there for advice and help. This is the website and then click on the map (right-hand side) for details -
    http://www.citizensadvice.co.uk/.

We hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
  • Fern0305 wrote: »
    I received a parking ticket from this company while parked on private land (Matalan) in Northern Ireland. Having listened to the recent media coverage (Watchdog) on this I decided to ignore the charges.
    :huh:

This is what the BBC watchdog website says about such charges:
    Parking Charge Notice

The other type of ticket – and the one we hear from you most about - is one which has been issued by a private parking company. A private parking company is an organisation which has entered into an agreement with a landowner to enforce any parking restrictions he or she chooses to place on their land.

To be clear, when a landowner - for example a supermarket, a hospital or a retail shopping centre - creates a car park, they will set out restrictions usually in a notice displayed on the land which you agree to abide by when you park on that land. By choosing to park on the land it may be implied that you agree to these conditions, particularly if the notice is clear and prominently displayed and you are therefore entering into a contract with the business running the car park.

More often than not, such restrictions will involve a set time limit, a requirement to pay and display or a no-return policy. The terms and conditions of the car park should be displayed clearly and concisely on signs as you enter the car park and at other points across the site, along with information about parking fees and any subsequent charges which could be incurred for failing to comply. If you receive a charge notice you should check that these terms are correctly displayed at the car park in question. If you find they are not, you may wish to write to the company to appeal the charge. Photographs may help.

So not just the nag screen MSE puts up on this board you ignore ... :cool:
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support