Forum Home» Citizens Advice Bureau» Old Threads

Who is responsible for replacing broken windscreen?

New Post Advanced Search

Who is responsible for replacing broken windscreen?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
8 replies 1.6K views
lucifersangel87lucifersangel87 Forumite
96 posts
Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
Hi,

just looking for a bit of advice. Basically, I live in a shared block of houses where I rent a room in one of three attached houses which stand back off the road. There are three parking spaces on the drive to the front, and three located within the boundaries of the property at the rear, which are accessible via a private dead-end mews.

Quite often, when I am parking around the back, the children from the houses on the private mews are playing cricket or football on the car park (as the mews houses appear to have no gardens, or only very small patios). Both my girlfriend and I have gone out several times to find dirty ball prints on our bumpers and windscreens.

So my question is this - with no "no ball games" signs pinned up around the place, and the mews being a private road, whose responsibility will it be when one of their balls inevitably goes through my windscreen?

Is there any action I should take now to cover myself when the time comes?
"One cool judgment is worth a thousand hasty counsels. The thing to do is to supply light and not heat."
-Woodrow Wilson

Replies

• I'm sure that the CAB will tell me if it's a waste of their time, or will simply not answer it - but thank you for your kind input.

As a citizen, I require advice on best ways to protect myself should the unlikely become a reality (which judging by recent life events, is more likely than not).

It's certainly not an urgent matter, but some expert opinions would be appreciated.
    "One cool judgment is worth a thousand hasty counsels. The thing to do is to supply light and not heat."
    -Woodrow Wilson
  • geri1965_2geri1965_2 Forumite
    8.7K posts
    It's your car, so your responsibility.
  • Muddy ball prints on your car?

Get a sponge and wipe them off. No ball games signs are a red flag to kids - heck when visiting my ex the other day another resident had a washing machine in the hallway upon which they had a big sign saying DO NOT TOUCH, needless to say it was impossible for any of us to walk past without touching it.

Community officers might come around and talk to them, but it'd probably have the same end effect as if you asked them - they'll still play but now your car is the target. CCTV probably wouldn't help due to their age. The only thing you can do is a fence if applicable (or ignore it - that'd be my choice unless they started using the cricket bat on the car!)
  • BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K posts
    Irrespective of what might actually happen, it will still be deemed an 'accident' - and your ability to find the actual culprit limited (unless you get CCTV/DVR to record when your car space is being infringed. This might identify the missile and what caused the damage, but not ultimately who is responsible.

Even if this was possible, and you could identify the individual, and therefore parent or guardian, you would then need their agreement to pay up - they may well, but others wouldn't care - and litigation would not be cost effective.

Since the vehicle is insured, if there IS damage, and you can name the culprit - all you can realistically do is provide the data to your insurer and let them get on with it.

Or move.
  • edited 9 October 2012 at 11:06AM
    CAB_National_RepresentativeCAB_National_Representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    220 posts
    edited 9 October 2012 at 11:06AM
    Hi,

just looking for a bit of advice. Basically, I live in a shared block of houses where I rent a room in one of three attached houses which stand back off the road. There are three parking spaces on the drive to the front, and three located within the boundaries of the property at the rear, which are accessible via a private dead-end mews.

Quite often, when I am parking around the back, the children from the houses on the private mews are playing cricket or football on the car park (as the mews houses appear to have no gardens, or only very small patios). Both my girlfriend and I have gone out several times to find dirty ball prints on our bumpers and windscreens.

So my question is this - with no "no ball games" signs pinned up around the place, and the mews being a private road, whose responsibility will it be when one of their balls inevitably goes through my windscreen?

Is there any action I should take now to cover myself when the time comes?

Hi lucifersangel87 - as this isn't an area that our CAB representatives are covering at the moment, we'd recommend contacting your local bureau for advice on where you might stand.

Also, having just looked into it via Google, this information came up on Yahoo - http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100707031919AAxAUFz. We'd suggest talking to an adviser on what redress you would have, and also the circumstances under which this would be a criminal/police matter.

We hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
  • Hmm71Hmm71 Forumite
    479 posts
    Gosh, I feel sorry for kids these days. They try playing outside and everyone stops them with their No Ball Games signs and complain about the noise, then when they stay indoors everyone moans that kids don't play out any more like in the old days.
    And OP before you point out that the kids should be playing in the park not every parent likes their children playing out of sight of their house.
    And yes I know totally beside the point. If your car windscreen gets broken you go round to the kids's houses and ask their parents to pay up, just as used to happen when I was a kid in the 70s.
  • RichyRichRichyRich Forumite
    2.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Lord Denning had interesting words to say on the subject of cricket in the case of Miller v Jackson.
    #145 Save £12k in 2016 Challenge: £12,062.62/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £5,027.78 CHALLENGE MET
    #060 Save £12k in 2017 Challenge: £11,03.70/£12,000.00 Beginning Balance: £12,976.79 Shortfall: £996.30:eek:
    This is the secret message.
  • Hmm71Hmm71 Forumite
    479 posts
    RichyRich wrote: »
    Lord Denning had interesting words to say on the subject of cricket in the case of Miller v Jackson.

I wonder why the Millers bought a house next to a cricket ground in the first place? What did they think would happen?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support