cancelling a phone contract if taken out over internet

New Post Advanced Search

cancelling a phone contract if taken out over internet

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
4 replies 952 views
sitcom321sitcom321 Forumite
386 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
I took out a mobile phone contract with buyamobile.net, the phone arrived on Tuesday and I hate it, its big and ugly and not at all what I was expecting, do I have any rights at all to return the phone or not? would i be able to cancel contract? or would i be able to get a different phone and keep the contract. would appreciate help

Replies

• WywthWywth Forumite
    5.1K posts
    sitcom321 wrote: »
    I took out a mobile phone contract with buyamobile.net, the phone arrived on Tuesday and I hate it, its big and ugly and not at all what I was expecting, do I have any rights at all to return the phone or not? would i be able to cancel contract? or would i be able to get a different phone and keep the contract. would appreciate help

http://www.buymobilephones.net/info_terms.php?id=12 (in particular section 9) ;)
  • BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K posts
    In addition to their terms - DSR gives you Statutory rights of rejection but these are time limited. As for the handset you dislike - yo really need to check things like this out before purchase as it makes unravelling a binding contract a quite complex operation.
  • keith1950keith1950
    2.6K posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, as has been said many times in the past, the phone and the contract are two different issues.

If you have not put the sim into the phone, thereby accepting the contract, you can probably cancel.

If you have used the sim and the phone, then the best you can hope for is to keep the contract and ask the retailer, as a goodwill gesture, if you can downgrade to a lesser phone so they will not lose money,as they will have to sell the original phone as clearance stock, at a reduced price.

You should really always do your research before buying online.
  • edited 9 October 2012 at 11:06AM
    CAB_National_RepresentativeCAB_National_Representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    220 posts
    edited 9 October 2012 at 11:06AM
    sitcom321 wrote: »

Hi sitcom 321 - as this is a consumer issue, it's not being covered by our CAB representatives at the moment. We'd recommend that you contact our Consumer Helpline (08454 040506, Mondays to Fridays, 9am to 5pm) or your local bureau for advice on where you stand, as soon as possible.

Before you do, we'd suggest that you have all the paperwork to hand (or take it in with you if/when you go into your bureau). And also that you have read through the terms and conditions for what you've paid for, as you'll probably get asked about them.

We hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support