Problem with Travel agent

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
7 replies 1.2K views
KatykatKatykat Forumite
1.7K posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
We went to TA to book a return flight , but were not given all the options for the reurn journey. As a consequence we ended up with an itinerary that meant we had to make a 4 hour train journey from Canada to USA, with an overnight stay in a hotel, and 2 quite lengthy taxi rides, all at our own expense. When we got home an did a web search, we found that there was actually a flight we could have taken which would have ben included in the final price. We complained to the company but got no response. I phoned Trading Standards and they said there was a Breach of Contract and advised me on what to write to the company and send recorded delivery. I did this but they still ignored it. I then wrote to head office. This produced a letter from the manager of the original branch saying that we left her shop happy with what we had booked. This was difficult to accept because she wasn't even there. She obviously took the word of the travel consultant and she never even spoke to us about it. So again we :Wrote to Customer relations at head office and told them that we were not happy with the managers response. Today we had a letter saying that they only deal with post travel problems and that they have passed our complaint on to the manager of the branch. We seem to be going around in circles and are unsure now what our position is.
:smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Replies

• meer53meer53 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you accepted the option given to you for your return journey and left the shop then i wouldn't think you'll get anywhere. Did you ask if there was an alternative to what you were offered ?
  • KatykatKatykat Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Yes we did ask, because at first, the consultant said the return journey was Vancouver, Frankfurt, manchester, this would involve a wait of 3 hrs in Frankfurt. Taking into account that we would be flying over the UK, waiting 3 hrs and then flying back to UK, it would add 6 hrs onto the return journey. We told him we didn't fancy this and asked if there were any other options. He said " the only other way you can do it is to make your own way to Seattle and fly Seattle -Washington-Man" So naturally we believed him, we had no reason not to, so we booked it. It was only when we got home that I looked on United Airlines web site that I found we could have flown several different routes eg Vancouver-Seattle-Washington-Man. Or Van-Chicago-Wash-Man or Van-Denver-Wash-Man. None of these options were put to us.
    :smileyhea A SMILE COSTS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING
  • meer53meer53 Forumite
    10.2K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose unless there is some record of your conversation with the assistant it's a case of their word against yours. To be honest, with all the flight changes involved, maybe the assistant thought their option would be the best ? Or maybe the other options weren't available at the time ? Just surmising here, to be honest, i'm just amazed that there isn't a direct Vancouver-Man flight ! Would you have been able to book it yourself via the internet ?
  • BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K posts
    TS are talking nonsense. The options available to the TA are those he gave to you. There may be other routes he was unaware, unable to view, or was incompetent - either way - you accepted his option and te deal was done. The fact you found a more attractive route afterwards is immaterial, it may have been more costly (and not relevant).

When going to a TA, I always view Skyscanner first. If I get better options from the TA, I'll go with that, but if not I nudge them to look at my 'find' and get them to agree it is better. This way I get the best of both searches - and the fact I can pay only a deposit, rather an the whole amount up front if I went online.

From what you describe, you could not prove the flight you eventually found was available to the TA at e time you booked, so compensation would not be an issue. That said, I'd not use them again without doing your own research too!
  • You could suppose to ask for another option.
  • brisbris Forumite
    9.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe the other options were not available or full on your chosen dates. Any way it goes you accepted the situation and booked knowing the route and delays that it was going to cause.
  • edited 9 October 2012 at 11:03AM
    CAB_National_RepresentativeCAB_National_Representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    220 posts
    edited 9 October 2012 at 11:03AM
    Katykat wrote: »
    We went to TA to book a return flight , but were not given all the options for the reurn journey. As a consequence we ended up with an itinerary that meant we had to make a 4 hour train journey from Canada to USA, with an overnight stay in a hotel, and 2 quite lengthy taxi rides, all at our own expense. When we got home an did a web search, we found that there was actually a flight we could have taken which would have ben included in the final price. We complained to the company but got no response. I phoned Trading Standards and they said there was a Breach of Contract and advised me on what to write to the company and send recorded delivery. I did this but they still ignored it. I then wrote to head office. This produced a letter from the manager of the original branch saying that we left her shop happy with what we had booked. This was difficult to accept because she wasn't even there. She obviously took the word of the travel consultant and she never even spoke to us about it. So again we :Wrote to Customer relations at head office and told them that we were not happy with the managers response. Today we had a letter saying that they only deal with post travel problems and that they have passed our complaint on to the manager of the branch. We seem to be going around in circles and are unsure now what our position is.

HI Katykat - this isn't an area currently being covered by our CAB representatives at the moment. We'd recommend that you contact our Consumer Helpline (08454 040506, Mondays to Fridays, 9am to 5pm) or your local bureau for advice on where you stand, as soon as possible.

Before you do, we'd suggest that you have all the paperwork to hand (or take it in with you if/when you go into your bureau) - esepcially as our Consumer Helpline has links with Trading Standards.

We hope this helps.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support