Bin Collectors Not Shutting Gates

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
16 replies 2.1K views
adamnsuadamnsu Forumite
184 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Old Threads
Hi,

Wanted to know what our rights are.

We live in a block of flats, which have a communal bin area.

The gates have a latch and a rod at the bottom of one of the gates. Both need to be opened to take out the large green bins.

For the past few months on bin collection day, both gates to the bin area remain wide open and especially on windy days they start banging and makes alot of noise.

My question is: Is it the bin collectors responsiblity to close the gates to our bin area after they finish their business??

Many Thanks.

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would think it would be their responsibility but why not put a laminated notice or two up
    say 'Please ensure the gates are closed'

Then see what happens. if it still happens, ring the council.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • SailorSamSailorSam Forumite
    22.8K posts
    They'll probably start closing the gates better a couple of weeks before Christmas.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • custardycustardy Forumite
    37.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on another note. you feel this falls within the CABs remit and is a good use of their time?
  • adamnsuadamnsu Forumite
    184 posts
    McKneff wrote: »
    I would think it would be their responsibility but why not put a laminated notice or two up
    say 'Please ensure the gates are closed'

Then see what happens. if it still happens, ring the council.

Many thanks for your response. I was also thinking that it should be their responsiblity as well, as the gates are quite large and keeping them open not only creates noise (on windy days) but can also be a hazard.

That might be a good solution to put up a sign.

I would have done it myself but since we have a management company I think I will leave it in their hands.
  • DippypudDippypud Forumite
    1.9K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have a caretaker ?

It's usually the responsibility of the caretaker to make sure the bins are 'ready' for collection and are returned to their place of 'storage', this would mean making the gates secure to prevent flytipping.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z # 40 spanner supervisor.
    No problem can withstand the assault of sustained thought.
    Only after the last tree has been cut down. Only after the last fish has been caught. Only after the last river has been poisoned. Only then will you realize that money cannot be eaten.
    "l! ilyë yantë ranya nar vanwë"
  • Do they open the gates,or is that left for you to do as well?
    Not like they used to be,they do as little as possible these days,wont empty them if the lid is a fraction up,(health and safety)..The handle has got to be facing a certain way..
    (Not saying they are All like that,but some are)
  • skivenovskivenov Forumite
    2.2K posts
    I'd say you've got a right to close the gates if they haven't.
    Yes it's overwhelming, but what else can we do?
    Get jobs in offices and wake up for the morning commute?
    184 posts
    Annie1975 wrote: »
    Do they open the gates,or is that left for you to do as well?
    Not like they used to be,they do as little as possible these days,wont empty them if the lid is a fraction up,(health and safety)..The handle has got to be facing a certain way..
    (Not saying they are All like that,but some are)

They open the gate themselves and take the bins out. The area for the bins of our flats are seperate and otside the property.There is a latch to open the gates. As the bins are large they have to open both gates. This involves taking out a rod at the bottom of the one gate.

My Inlaws who live in Epsom have really good bin men. But then again they pay a higher band of council tax.
    184 posts
    skivenov wrote: »
    I will have you know That right I am quite aware of an excercise when I see them open. But In many cases people leave for work early before the bin collection so it is not always possible to close it.

However I also have a right to know what is also appropriate. The open gates may present itself as a hazard.
    184 posts
    skivenov wrote: »

Btw, if your bin man didn't collect your rubbish would you use the right to clear it yourself?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support