MSE Blog: Who’s Sarah? The scammers pretending to be from MSE

This is a thread to discuss the MSE blog:
Who’s Sarah? The scammers pretending to be from MSE

"My mum’s always been a tough cookie, willing to fight for her rights and smart enough to know when someone’s pulling a fast one..."

Comments

• kermitfrog
    kermitfrog Posts: 1,089 Forumite
    Why would MSE be immune from scammers? All scammers establish their credentials by saying or implying that they represent a reputable organisation.

It surprises me that anyone getting a call from someone purporting to be from MSE would be any less suspicious than if they received a call from their bank or someone claiming access to their computer.
  • This is pretty terrible, as I know I could be easily caught out on energy comparison!

A while ago I compared finance deals online. I got a phonecall to follow up - could I please confirm my address and D.O.B? Of course, I said I don't give out my details over the phone, as I don't know who they are. This basically started a 20 min battle - they got very angry at me because I wouldn't confirm my details, and after all, I had requested finance from them. In the time he was on the phone, he said he could have approved my finance already, it would only take 5 minutes, but I had to confirm I was who I said I was (who called who?!?) I continued to refuse to give out my details to someone over the phone, and after 20 minutes of this, finally got away.

Before this guy, I always thought that fake companies would probably push a little too hard, but I've had a few genuine companies call me and act very pushy now. It makes it hard to figure out who's trustworthy any more.
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    But I almost can’t believe this "Sarah" had the audacity to continue pressing my mum for information even after she’d told her "my daughter works there too".
    She was probably working from a script. It's pretty hard to get these cold callers to veer off script.
  • ........probably the same people who have managed to get hold of my unique MSE email address.......................wonder how ?
  • Slowhand
    Slowhand Posts: 1,073 Forumite
    ........probably the same people who have managed to get hold of my unique MSE email address.......................wonder how ?

MSE has been hacked/attacked before.
  • Mobeer
    Mobeer Posts: 1,851 Forumite
    Academoney Grad First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    and the moral of this story? Next time the scammer phones someone up, they should call themselves Paloma Kubiak. Problem solved.

Why publish stories that help scammers?
  • JimmyTheWig
    JimmyTheWig Posts: 12,199 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Mobeer wrote: »
    and the moral of this story? Next time the scammer phones someone up, they should call themselves Paloma Kubiak. Problem solved.

Why publish stories that help scammers?
    If she had done that then the OP's mum would have known it was a scam straight off!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure