Stocks and Shares ISA

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
2 replies 647 views
topher_2topher_2 Forumite
155 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in ISAs & Tax-free Savings
Hi

I'm looking for a little advice please. I'm intending to start putting a regular amount (only £25 to £50 per month to start with) into a Mini Stocks and Shares ISA in the new financial year.

I'm intending to keep the investment for between 5 to 10 years and want something with a medium risk. I'm looking for growth rather than income. Any suggestions of what to look for and which providers to look at would be greatfully received.

Cheers!

Replies

• cheerfulcatcheerfulcat Forumite
    3.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi, topher,

With small regular investments I would suggest that you look at global growth investment trusts. They are collective funds set up as companies, so you buy shares rather than units. Charges tend to be lower than on comparable unit trusts and the shares are traded in real time so you can buy and sell when you want to. You can hold them within a self-select ISA from a broker like Selftrade, or in something like Alliance Trust's ISA. One thing to watch out for with ITs is that because they are shares they tend to be priced on sentiment rather than net asset value ( NAV = the value of the holdings minus liabilities ) they can trade at a premium or discount.

There's more about ITs on the AIC website and at Incademy.
  • topher_2topher_2 Forumite
    155 Posts
    Thanks for that cheerfulcat. I'll read up! Any further ideas / suggestions?

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals