Forum Home» The Money Savers Arms» Discussion Time

Work attire and pubic sector employees

New Post Advanced Search

Money Savers Arms

Last ooorders!… We’re sorry but for now, due to resources, we need to close the Money Savers Arms including Discussion Time.

It’s not easy to write this. We love the forum, but we also have a job to do to protect it, our users and MoneySavingExpert, and at the moment, with all our resources focused on Coronavirus information, and all the team at home, we don’t feel we have the resources to do a good enough job.

For four months, we’ve been struggling to cope with the huge volumes of messages we’ve been getting from Forumites – many of whom are in desperate and dire straits with their finances. The team have been working all hours to try and keep on top of it. At first we thought it’d be a short sharp spike, but it isn’t, it’s continuing, so we have had some difficult choices to make about prioritisation.

Unfortunately in, and likely because of, these stressful times, the Forum team have also been receiving an increasing number of complaints about posts made on the Money Savers Arms and Discussion Time. The team have done what they can to try and walk the tightrope of balancing all the various interests, but for now we need to draw a line under this and temporarily close this Board, so we can keep the key, MoneySaving boards – where people are supporting each other through this crisis - running smoothly.

We know this board is important to you, but as the MSE stance has been forbearance throughout this crisis, now we ask that of you. We’re sorry. Of course you can post on other boards, but we’d ask you to stick to the subjects of those boards, and not use them as a surrogate Money Savers Arms or Discussion Time. And as always please be kind and friendly to each other, especially any newbies.

Thanks
MSE Forum Team

Work attire and pubic sector employees

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Discussion Time
79 replies 1.1K views
malcindebtmalcindebt
367 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Discussion Time
I was in the pub earlier having a quick half after just finishing work.

A friend of mine walked in shortly after and we started to chat.

He said he had just finished work and like me fancied a quick half before going home for tea.

What puzzled me was that this friend of mine was in 'casual' clothes yet I know he works for the tax office, so I assumed he had already been home and changed. He then told me that those were the clothes he went to work in.

I'm absolutely shocked.

As a public servant I assumed that he would have to dress for work in suitable attire, i.e. a shirt, pants, tie and shoes, not casual jeans, polo shirt and trainers.

He's not in a face to face position with the general public, he works in the back office but still I cannot believe that working in the public sector they are allowed to wear what they want to work.

So the question is:

Should all civil/public servants be made to wear smart office dress, i.e. shirts and ties for men, smart suits/office dress for women?

Replies

• foofi22foofi22 Forumite
    2.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bowler hats for men too
  • mildred1978mildred1978 Forumite
    3.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    malcindebt wrote: »

He said he had just finished work and like me fancied a quick half before going home for tea.

What puzzled me was that this friend of mine was in 'casual' clothes yet I know he works for the tax office, so I assumed he had already been home and changed. He then told me that those were the clothes he went to work in.

I'm absolutely shocked.

As a public servant I assumed that he would have to dress for work in suitable attire, i.e. a shirt, pants, tie and shoes, not casual jeans, polo shirt and trainers.

He's not in a face to face position with the general public, he works in the back office but still I cannot believe that working in the public sector they are allowed to wear what they want to work.

So the question is:

Should all civil/public servants be made to wear smart office dress, i.e. shirts and ties for men, smart suits/office dress for women?

I used to work for a Government minister. Dress code was smart when the House was sitting, and casual (unless involved in external meetings) during recess. I personally couldn't care less what a back office employee wears. They are probably earning around £20k per year. A full work wardrobe probably isn't necessary.
    Science adjusts its views based on what's observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation, so that belief can be preserved.
    :A Tim Minchin :A
  • edmund_blackadderedmund_blackadder Forumite
    7.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    malcindebt wrote: »

I'm absolutely shocked.

So the question is:

No. No they shouldn't.
    I enjoy a pint of beer each night for it's health benefits. The other pints are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
  • OP dont be shocked in 1975 my very first job was with the inland revenue,my mum bought me a new suit shoes the works,when i got there on monday morning 90% of the staff were dressed very casually,mostly in jeans and t shirts
  • amistupidamistupid Forumite
    56K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    I like my GPs to be smart, there are so many young doctors dressed in jeans and T shirts it's hard to tell them from patients.
    In memory of Chris Hyde #867
  • Person_onePerson_one Forumite
    28.9K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why force people to waste money on clothes they'll only ever wear to work if there's absolutely no need for it?

If they're clean, all the essential bits are covered and there's nothing offensive written on their clothes I don't really care what anybody wears. A doctor in jeans is still a doctor, a bank manager in flip flops is still a bank manager.
  • Why on earth do we still have such a Victorian hang up about what a person wears to work?

If it does not affect their ability to do the job, then there's no issue IMO.
    The atmosphere is currently filled with hypocrisy so thick that it could be sliced, wrapped, and sold in supermarkets for a decent price and labeled, 'Wholegrain Left-Wing, Middle-Class, Politically-Correct Organic Hypocrisy'.
  • Jojo_the_TightfistedJojo_the_Tightfisted Forumite
    27.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Considering a back office job could involve crawling under desks and connecting computer networks, moving supplies or furniture, no, I don't think that you need to wear a full skirt suit and stiletto heels.

Adopting a monkey suit doesn't make somebody better at a job - I think the wannabe management types in shiny ones and spouting pretentious twaddle are a good example of this. They're a bit all fur coat and no knickers, as they've mistaken superficial image for ability.

I do think the rules should state whatever is worn must be clean, as should be the owner. But other than that, it doesn't matter what they wear.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.
    colinw wrote: »
    Yup you are officially Rock n Roll :D
  • MariscoMarisco Forumite
    42K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TBH I prefer someone in casual clothes, it's less "stuffy". In the same way I like first names, none of this Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms malarky. Anyway if someone is in a back office it doesn't really matter what they wear, and so long as they are clean and tidy, and can do their job it doesn't matter what they wear for customer facing either IMO. I'd prefer a s**t hot doctor in a sarong, than an bumbling idiot in a suit! :D
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support