We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

New to gardening and need advice on first project please.

Options
Good afternoon all.

I was looking for some advice from people please. We recently moved in to a new house and are very lucky to have a lot of outdoor space. It is all mostly overgrown at the moment and needs sorting but because we have a lot going on at the moment, we don't have a great deal of time to spend on the garden so I'm going to do it one little bit at a time. So my first project is underneath the front window. We currently have an overgrown patch which is about 8 foot by 3 foot. The only thing I recognise is a rose bush which is getting killed by all the weeds around it.

My plan is to dig everything up, pot the rose bush to use later somewhere else in the garden or pass on to someone else that wants it.

So from there, I'm left with an empty flower bed that I want to make look stunning.
I really want to have year long colour and plants that won't die on me after a few weeks. I don't want to have to keep replanting every year but I am prepared to put effort into maintaining them.

I was also looking for height and textures as this will be the first thing people will see when they come to our house so I want it to look really nice.

Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated and I will apologise in advance for all the questions I will be asking.

Thanks

Comments

• TallGirl
    TallGirl Posts: 5,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Clearing the weeds is always a good start but why dig it all out if it can be pruned back. I would do the pruning and then see what flowers and what it looks like might be worth salvaging some of it.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Mar  £30,850 + £12K added to pension) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125 May £0) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2028 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• MollyDolly
    MollyDolly Posts: 872 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree, in a newly adopted garden you can often get lovely surprises eg there may be winter and spring flowering bulbs that have been there for years.

Sometimes its better to wait a while and see what unfolds rather than getting stuck right in.

Perhaps buy some graph paper and plan for next year, and you can amend as you go along. Just do a bit at a time so as not to get cheesed off with it. A large garden can sometimes be overwhelming.:)
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    And look at what soil you have, which bits are in sun and shade, if it's sheltered or windy etc etc. Gardens should evolve and unless you are willing to spend lots of cash buy things that suit your space as and when rather than splash out all at once on things that might not like it there.

Agree with the graph paper.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • J_J_Carter
    J_J_Carter Posts: 1,024 Forumite
    edited 19 August 2012 at 9:19PM
    Options
    Yep, if the weeds are just annuals, they can be pulled up. If you have perennial weeds, then careful digging over is needed.

crocus.co.uk do a good interactive plant chooser where you can specify aspect, soil type, etc. and get plant suggestions. Bear in mind, close to the house will tend to be drier.

Don't forget pots can be used to give a garden a lift, as getting all season colour in a small area is tricky without the planting looking 'bitty'.

You'll likely want a mix of evergreen shrubs, perennials and bulbs. It's getting a wee bit late in the season, but check the NGS Yellow Book website to see if folks are opening local gardens to public and get some ideas there.
  • lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 August 2012 at 10:06PM
    Options
    Its amazing what comes up when You clear weeds, and some thongs that have become established are easier to work with. For example, i have a 'white' garden at the front of my house, on land that has not been cultivated for years, this was already planned, so i do not mind the battilions of snowdrops in spring, that thrived when i cleared the chocking turf. If i had planned, say, a red garden, i might have. Been frustrated.
  • lou2500
    lou2500 Posts: 13 Forumite
    Options
    Weed out the flower beds, and you can sow perennial flowers now for low maintenance, foxgloves, lupins, torch lily. They are stunning and low maintenance just have to keep the beds weed fee or better to apply tick layer of mulch between the plants so the weeding wont be a problem eithrer :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure