Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Breakdown Cover

in N. Ireland
11 replies 984 views
Hi all

I've had a look through the site and found some info about Auto Aid as a recovery service - you pay and claim back. It's £32 for a year (unless I totally read it wrong!!)

Does anyone have any local experience of them? Or could anybody recommend an alternate service?

Thing is - I spend a lot of time travelling back and forwards to family in Dublin - but that seems to mean I need European cover??:confused:

I have never worried about this before but my car has taken to not starting for no apparent reason and totally without warning! Luckily the two times it's happened I've been in my own drive or visiting family... but I can't get the image of being stuck in Forestsides underground car park out of my head!:eek: or somewhere worse :eek: :eek:

Any help welcome!

CB :T

Replies

• I have been with a company called Green Flag for about 4 years now - thankfully have only needed to call them out once - customer service was excellent - even got a courtesy car while mine was being repaired. Think I pay about 6 quid a month.....worth having a look :-)
    :T Member 194 of the Norn Iron club :T
  • Thanks! I'll check them out...
  • edited 22 April 2009 at 2:57AM
    EasymoneyEasymoney Forumite
    171 Posts
    edited 22 April 2009 at 2:57AM

I have never worried about this before but my car has taken to not starting for no apparent reason and totally without warning!

Luckily the two times it's happened I've been in my own drive or visiting family... but I can't get the image of being stuck in Forestsides underground car park out of my head!:eek: or somewhere worse :eek: :eek:

Any help welcome!

CB :T

Some good tips from the other peeps.

Some of the other companies might not have their own patrol vehicles, they tender the service out to local recovery companies. This means that if they have no patrols based here you could be waiting longer for them to come to your rescue
  • lisyloolisyloo Forumite
    28.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I spend a lot of time travelling back and forwards to family in Dublin - but that seems to mean I need European cover??

Dublin is in Ireland (Southern) so it's not part of the UK.
    It's a foreign country.

Autoaid have very many good reports on this site.
    It's £32 for any vehicle you drive and covers a married spouse.
    It's pay and claim which means you need to pay and then claim back the money.
    There are many reports on this site of them paying very quickly but obviously you need a credit card or other facility to be able to pay the bill.

I'm not sure whether they do European cover so it seems a bargain to me.

Disclaimer - I am an Autoaid customer and it cover 3 vehicles in my hosuehold which I think is an absolutel bargain. However I have no claims experience.
  • ooo000oooooo000ooo Forumite
    577 Posts
    On the off chance you're insured through open & direct, they provide free cover though appear to forget to send you the details on how to use it with their insurance paperwork. A mate had to use it recently when his motorbike broke down and they were happy enough to pick it up from my garage and take it to a mechanic (within 50 miles) although according to their cover it's supposed to be home or garage depending on which is closer. Cover is also for down south.
  • thanks! I'm just waiting from the mechanic to see if there's a clue to what's wrong before I decide which cover it best!

Easymoney - you could be sorry! :rotfl:
  • belfastgirl23belfastgirl23 Forumite
    8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    The aa apparently count all of the british isles together in terms of their breakdown cover - I checked only recently because someone had raised the question on this site and was assured that this is still the case. So standard cover includes ROI. Apparently you can negotiate with the AA about how much you pay for cover - if you look at the travel and transport part I think this would give more detail, either that or the chatforum...
  • Actually just went with the RAC this morning - £38 for 15 months and you can get an add-on for travelling outside UK as and when you do....

thanks for all the help!
  • mc_bluemc_blue Forumite
    34 Posts
    Another thread for me!

Basically the breakdown assistance industry can be split into three categories.

Firstly there is the AA/RAC and to a lesser extend Auto Home type cover – who provided by their own patrols and offer their services to the general motoring public as well as insurance companies.

There is also a series of companies who offer their services (primarily) to insurance companies specifically - so you may have breakdown cover with Europ Assistance through your general car insurance. In this instance, a contractor with a pre-determined ‘patch’ or who is nearest to the incident will be dispatched.

Finally, there's the ad hoc breakdown assistance sector provided by local garages on a private per job basis.

We operate in the latter two categories however it is important to remember that both the AA and RAC have contractors on their books too. With regards to service levels, in order to work on behalf of a company like Green Flag Motoring Assistance you have to adhere to high service standards. In addition, there is constant monitoring of a contractor's performance (for instance average response times, fix rate, customer satisfaction) and due to the fact that the vast majority of our work is generated this way we have to stay on top of it or face the chance of losing a major roadside assistance contract.

I've seen mentioned other breakdown insurance providers such as First Call GB Ltd, we also offer our services to these smaller breakdown clubs and as such once a technician has been deployed our service is perfectly homogenous regardless of the customer. The only area where you may have differences between the big players and smaller clubs is with regards to their call handling abilities and complaints procedures. In addition, some of the smaller breakdown insurance providers take on contractors without ISO 9001 and PAS 43 accreditation - I cannot comment on such contractors' service standards but there is a chance that they are not as strictly monitored.
  • PollyPolly Forumite
    898 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    Was an AA member for years and can't faullt them. Its true that if you say you're female and alone, you get priority as I never had to wait more than 30 minutes for service (in NI). Have just joined RAC for free thanks to the lovely Clubcard deals. Hope I don't need to use the service anytime soon but will definitely use my Clubcard vouchers for this in the future.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals