'You might not have to pay back your CC Debt"

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
1 reply 889 views
katecheshirekatecheshire Forumite
229 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
Just had an interesting variation on the usual dodgy phone calls. Apparently if I received a replacement credit card after 2007 and did not sign a new credit card agreement, the contract is invalid and I don't have to pay the outstanding balance.

We never got to the part of the phone call where the kind person was going to help me get 'my' money back out of the goodness of his heart!

Anyone else heard of this one?

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Just had an interesting variation on the usual dodgy phone calls. Apparently if I received a replacement credit card after 2007 and did not sign a new credit card agreement, the contract is invalid and I don't have to pay the outstanding balance.

a few years ago this scam was very common. Cartel and Kerobo were both running adverts saying this thing and cold calling. After the test cases ruled and set sound ground rules in place (shortly followed by OFT clarification) these companies failed. Cartel took over £30 million of up front fees from people. You dont get many claims companies trying it on now but there still a few.

The whole thing though smells of advance fee fraud. Best avoided at all cost.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides