NOW OPEN. The MSE Forum's energy-themed Ask An Expert event is open for questions. Visit the dedicated board to ask MSE Gary & MSE Andrew about gas & electricity

Current account charges abroad

My son is at university in USA. He has a Lloyds TSB classic account. Everytime he pays for something or withdraws money he is charged a fee.Would it be better to have a USA account and is this possible? ???
Mark Hughes' blue and white army


  • Very much so. Tell him to visit a local bank which is convienient to use or a bank which has links to the Uni he is studying at in the US.
    They should be able to open an account for him but do tell him to ask what the terms and conditions are for running the account as they will vary from those in the UK.
    Don't know what Sept 11 has done to their banking, if it's anything like this country he will need all sorts of id and address confirmation etc but he should be able to get a checking account.I do not know what sort of plastic card he will be offered.
    As soon as a/c is opened he needs to write to Lloyds asking to do one transfer to new account of all available funds so that he is only charged once for a transfer not like now where he is charged for every transaction.
  • Many thanks we will try what you have advised :)
    Mark Hughes' blue and white army
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Iceland's helping struggling pensioners

It's giving out free £30 food vouchers

MSE News

Who can suggest a top-notch bed?

This Forumite's mattress is in need of a base

MSE Forum

The Forum 'Ask An Expert' event

Ask your energy questions by Wed 5pm

MSE Forum