Asparagus - first year & eaten by slugs...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
9 replies 1.3K views
ladylouise62ladylouise62 Forumite
731 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Greenfingered MoneySaving
..Of 4 plants I have 2 left - one has a couple of small ferns (so, crossed fingers), and one got to 3 or 4cms and has been nibbled down to 1. Assuming that that last bit doesn't get eaten, is there any chance that it will be able to try to sprout again next year?

Blinkin' slugs!!!!

Replies

• mrbadexamplemrbadexample Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm in the same boat, so interested in the replies. I planted 7 crowns. One sprouted but had been flattened by the wind and seems beyond redemption. One has sprouted and gone "ferny". 4 of the other five have only just sprouted after ages, and one appears to have been chewed. Would love to know if they'll recover from this.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
  • I'm just discovered that the one I have left with 2 ferns has had one fern well-chewed up the stem. I think we chose a bad year to start growing asparagus :-)
  • try to protect what left with some beer traps or crushed egg shells, or lots of salt around the plant they will grow next year, it isn't easy to kill a perennial veg
  • BadrickBadrick Forumite
    603 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    They should sprout again next year, but will probably produce weaker shoots due to this years damage and it may mean not harvesting next year in order to let the crowns bulk up.
    Mark Steyn has stated, "In the UK, everything is policed except crime."
  • EpsomOldieEpsomOldie Forumite
    192 Posts
    This is useful info - thanks. I'm preparing a bed for planting asparagus. Has anyone experience of these plug plants rather than the conventional spidery crowns? http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/article/how_to_plant_compost_block_grown_asparagus_video/

They seem easier to plant than the crowns but I bet they're more attractive to our sluggy friends, sorry fiends.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The instruction is always not to cut or crop the 1st season, not that the make enough growth anyway. They may have been slowed by the slugs and set back a little but I'm sure they will survive.

Incidentally I watched the article on a voracious new pest, the Spanish slug on bbc tv this morning, bti of a monster from all accounts and invading the country :eek::eek::eek:
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
  • ladylouise62ladylouise62 Forumite
    731 Posts
    Badrick wrote: »
    They should sprout again next year, but will probably produce weaker shoots due to this years damage and it may mean not harvesting next year in order to let the crowns bulk up.

Thanks for that hope - I was hoping that would be the case. I can wait an extra year to start harvesting, in fact a couple of years would be fine.
  • ladylouise62ladylouise62 Forumite
    731 Posts
    UPDATE:
    My chewed-down asparagus have retuned this year. They are tiny, but still alive :-)
  • cyclonebri1cyclonebri1 Forumite
    12.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine seem to have failed altogether, only planted last year and all seemed well, made expected growth, this year no growth.

Planted in the corner of a raised bed and trenched as per instructions, any ideas???

OP, sorry to but in but I think it's closely enough related and I did post in this last year;)
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco launches its first ever...

...checkout-free supermarket store

MSE News

25+ ways to stop scams

Plus what to do if you're a victim

MSE Guides

Beauty Advent calendar round-up

The Body Shop, Holland & Barrett etc

MSE Deals