Telephone Query

in Phones & TV
5 replies 799 views
So on Friday i tried to use my telephone and there was no dial tone.

I have 2 lines coming into my house and all 3 have no dial tones, Contacted my telephone company they told me they haven't placed any block or barres etc. But all my broadband connections still work fine. BT openreach said there is no faults.

What next!!! Any phone engineers on here :p

Replies

• BrowntoaBrowntoa Forumite, Board Guide
    48.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lightening storm the other night ??

maybe the adsl spiltters that plug in the sockets are fried ?

try the phone direct in the sockets ??
    Links in my signature currently broken
    I'm the Board Guide of the ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to [email protected] Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.[
  • yea tried test sockets, tried different phones and different filters.

Guess ill need to wait till monday :(
  • macmanmacman Forumite
    48.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    pcombo wrote: »
    So on Friday i tried to use my telephone and there was no dial tone.

I have 2 lines coming into my house and all 3 have no dial tones, Contacted my telephone company they told me they haven't placed any block or barres etc. But all my broadband connections still work fine. BT openreach said there is no faults.

What next!!! Any phone engineers on here :p

??? Please explain.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • macman wrote: »
    ??? Please explain.

Well the physical line that comes into the house is capable of running 2 lines i.e 2 different numbers.

theres 4 sets or wires, 2 for each box.

I have 2 physical lines but only 3 are connected up.

But for some reason all dial tones are not there since friday, but the broadband and incoming calls are working.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not uncommon for broadband to carry on working when dial tone is absent.

Report the fault(s).
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides