Deceived by PRIMUS

in Phones & TV
5 replies 1.4K views
I have had telephone and broadband with Primus for a few years. Line rental and broadband has been about £18.55 a month for as long as i can remember. The few calls i make are negligible to the total bill. I haven't been tied to a contract for at leat a couple of years but havn't bothered looking elswhere for as i've been quite happy with the service.

A couple of weeks ago i reived a call from them. The lady said that she was calling me because it had been noted that I ought to be on a rate that wa £1 a month cheaper. I said "what's the catch?". She said "no catch" but you would have to sign up for a 12 month contract. I thought about it and said to her "sounds a bit dodgy to me. Why do you suddenly want me to sign up for a 12 month contract when i've been with you for years on a monthly contract and showed no inclination to change supplier?" She told me that she was merely ringing round customers who had been with them for a while who could be paying a lower tariff. Finally assured by her, I agreed to the 12 month contract as i could not think of any reason why I would want to change supplier as I'd been quite happy with the current set up for years.

Today I got my bill. Charges have jumped from £18.55 a month to £24.77. My bill was accompanied by a letter saying that their monthly charges are going up by £1.20 a month from 15th August. Have not yet worked out why the bill has gone up this month if the price increase does not come int effect until August, but I have clearly been duped as I'm now tied to a 12 month contract!

I just didn't see it coming! Have now noticed all the threads on telephone price rises.

I've emailed Primus expressing my disgust at their unethical practices and demanded that they release me from the 12 month conntract as i was clearly duped. I don't expect much of a positive response from them but I certainly will make as much noise as possible. I feel like i've just had my pockets picked. :angry:

Replies

• BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    It is NOT a 12 month contract, but a reimposition of the minimum term. YOu have rights to demand you return to your earlier (original) tariff if the pricing was not clearly explained to you - part of the Distance Selling Regulations.

Call them and say you have reconsidered and you wish to decline their offer and go back to your original arrangement, with no minimum term.
  • Thanks Buzby. I've just spoken to Primus customer service. They are flatly refusing to return me to my previous terms and conditions and say I'm now in a 12 month contract. I mentioned Distance Selling Regulations but he just referred tp Primus' terms and conditions. I'm going to pursue this in writing with them. I now want to be rid of primus completely.
  • Ady87Ady87 Forumite
    263 Posts
    Is it possible that your bill is in some way pro-rata'd or just incorrect?

I work in the industry and regularly give out discounts to exisiting customers, attached to new 12 month minimum terms, in order to keep them happy.

Lets say you had your head turned by Sky in a couple of weeks and ended up calling Primuse for a MAC code, at which point they offered you a few quid off, your response would probably be "Why did i not get told about this earlier?"

That is why they do it. It's also possible you have been deceived and, Primus, as far as i am concerned, are the enemy, i hope you get this resolved.
  • daveyd_2daveyd_2 Forumite
    7 Posts
    Ady87 wrote: »
    Is it possible that your bill is in some way pro-rata'd or just incorrect?

I work in the industry and regularly give out discounts to exisiting customers, attached to new 12 month minimum terms, in order to keep them happy.

Lets say you had your head turned by Sky in a couple of weeks and ended up calling Primuse for a MAC code, at which point they offered you a few quid off, your response would probably be "Why did i not get told about this earlier?"

That is why they do it. It's also possible you have been deceived and, Primus, as far as i am concerned, are the enemy, i hope you get this resolved.
    Thanks Ady87. Yes it seems there is some pro-rataering going on as they've told me I am paying so far in advance for the new '12 month contract'. Unfortunately I seem to have lost sight of the pounds and pence in my anger at apparently being duped into a 12 month contract. And their subsequent refusal, over the phone, to return me to the prior arrangement. I'm still awaiting their response to emails i've sent them.
  • BuzbyBuzby Forumite
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    The DSR trumps ANY of their T&C's, as there are no physical goods, you are down to time limits, and if they refuse to honour the restoration, your only recourse is to seek a termination due to their non-compliance, so the ball is in their court, keep you happy, or you walk - and fight them all the way.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Bacon flavoured toothpaste

Can you help this Forumite track some down?

Join the Forum discussion

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News