Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Logs for a wood burner

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
7 replies 1.5K views
BirnamBearBirnamBear Forumite
126 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Green & Ethical MoneySaving
What do you pay locally ? £80 for a builders bag here in the Glasgow suburbs.
12 panels south facing,8 panels south-east facing,4KWP system,pitch 40 degrees,Aurora inverter & location is sunny Glasgow.

Replies

• joedenisejoedenise Forumite
    11.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That sounds really expensive. The last load we bought was for a whole lorry load and we paid £150. That will last us at least 3 months.

Denise
  • dan_c_73dan_c_73 Forumite
    33 Posts
    I used to pay 120 for 2 dump sacks (builders bags) - However I have a friendly tree surgeon, who says provided I collect from his depot, I can have as much as I want to carry for free :) I will get him & the lads a slab of beer & some chocs at Xmas :)
  • celeritycelerity Forumite
    311 Posts
    Four cubic metres fully seasoned, delivered for £170. Or, partly seasoned for £150 (if we buy in the spring it's ready by winter).

We also supplement by taking down trees in our garden and occasionally chain sawing on land where we have permission. It's a lot of work to even get half a small van load of wood though!

My parents get me bags of kindling (pine offcuts) from the local auction which are only a few pounds for a big sack that could start something like 50 fires, so that's useful too.

/\
  • zeupaterzeupater Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi

Around £130 for ~3 cubic metres of hardwood (oak/ash) 12-18 months felled ... so around 2tonnes of wood which normally provides enough for the winter period if we only use it for secondary (/main living area) heating ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    celerity wrote: »

My parents get me bags of kindling (pine offcuts) from the local auction which are only a few pounds for a big sack that could start something like 50 fires, so that's useful too.

/\

Have you ever thought about getting an electric firelighter?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaIG3fq-M3M

I am still using a model on which the Bombadier was based - called the Best Matchless firelighter. I inherited it from an Uncle who purchased it in May 1962.

The open log fire we have is left full of logs and when we want it lit it literally takes 2 minutes to get a blazing fire; great for Barbeques as well.
  • celeritycelerity Forumite
    311 Posts
    Thanks Cardew, I didn't even know those existed.
    I'd be tempted to pick one up cheaply but could no way justify £100+.

Also, I have to say that I quite enjoy lighting my stoves, BBQ and chiminea manually. I have masses of kindling in storage and it's something of a mark of pride in our (male!) family to not use liquid fuel, firelighters etc. We do use matches though, not quite Ray Mears enough to use flint and steel :).

I reckon it takes me between 2-5 minutes to lay a log fire in a stove and get it lit so I can close the door and leave it.

I'll admit it does rarely go out sometimes though, which is hugely annoying and invokes much wifely derision :).

By the way, I'm loving the dramatic voiceover in that video!

/\
  • CardewCardew Forumite
    28.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Rampant Recycler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    celerity wrote: »
    Thanks Cardew, I didn't even know those existed.
    I'd be tempted to pick one up cheaply but could no way justify £100+.

/\

A pal, similarly unimpressed with the price, used something like this http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7110168/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CGarden+and+DIY%7C14418702/c_2/2%7C14418702%7CWallpaper+and+decorating%7C14418953/c_3/3%7Ccat_14418953%7CWallpaper+and+paint+strippers%7C14418954.htm

Mine is only 650 watts, so that at 2,000 watts should be up to the task.

You need to fashion a stand, unless you want to stand there in Wyatt Earp mode!
This discussion has been closed.