Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

money back

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
7 replies 928 views
rebelwithoutacauserebelwithoutacause Forumite
9 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
Advice please
I have been told by my employer that i have been overpaid for the last four years and they want to claim it back.
They so far have offered no proof of the over payment but insist I pay it back can they legaly do this?

Replies

• McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well they have to provide proof of course before they can reclaim any money from you, cheeky sods.

Have you been aware of the overpayment.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • BaconandEggsBaconandEggs Forumite
    578 Posts
    ✭✭
    I think this may have been posted in the wrong place?
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A suggestion to the Newbie where to actually post it would have beeen even more helpful
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • BaconandEggsBaconandEggs Forumite
    578 Posts
    ✭✭
    McKneff wrote: »
    A suggestion to the Newbie where to actually post it would have beeen even more helpful

Sorry, I'm not sure where it should be posted. Do you know? Maybe a mod will find it and suggest where is best.
  • edited 20 June 2012 at 1:22PM
    abouttimetooabouttimetoo Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    edited 20 June 2012 at 1:22PM
    Rebelwithoutacause

I think you have posted this in the wrong place as this board relates to repaying mortgages early so you may wish to re-post on another board here

In the meantime all we can do is give you some common sense advice rather than legal

As another poster has said they should provide proof.

Were you aware of the overpayments? This happened to a friend of mine years ago and she was fully aware that she had been overpaid for a year (received full pay while on long term sick instead of half). Her employers were obvioulsy clearly able to prove this and she pleaded ignorance. They set up a monthly repayment plan with her paying a very minimal amount back, fro memory something like £20 per month

If you have had too much money I would also seek advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau and your union representative if you have one.

Also consider if you have to pay it back how this will effect your monthly budget, outgoings etc.

One other thought is that if your employer is right you may also have paid too much tax so that would need looking into too
    MFW Start Date 1.4.08. Updated 23.1.18. MFW date 1.8.18
    Original Mortgage o/s £187,643 / £71,904 (-115,739)
    Repay o/s £92,661 / now £55,900 (-36,761)
    Int Only o/s £94,982, now £16,004 (-78,978)
    Total daily interest £1 [a) £0.77 b)£0.23
    Total OP's:2018 target £TBC YTD £1,995
  • pinkteapotpinkteapot Forumite
    7.6K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rebelwithoutacause - try posting your thread again on the Employment board, here:

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Plenty of HR and employment experts there who'll be able to help you out.

It will make it easier for them if you tell them whether you were employed based on an annual or hourly salary, whether you are paid for a fixed number of hours per week/month and how often you are paid.

For example, if your annual salary is £12,000 with no overtime, bonuses etc and you have monthly pay-slips stating that your gross pay has been £1,000, the employer wouldn't really have a leg to stand on. If you're paid hourly and work a different number of hours each week and so have variable pay, it's a bit more complicated unless you have a clear record of how many hours you've worked in each period.
  • Rebelwithoutacause

I think you have posted this in the wrong place as this board relates to repaying mortgages early so you may wish to re-post on another board here

In the meantime all we can do is give you some common sense advice rather than legal

As another poster has said they should provide proof.

Were you aware of the overpayments? This happened to a friend of mine years ago and she was fully aware that she had been overpaid for a year (received full pay while on long term sick instead of half). Her employers were obvioulsy clearly able to prove this and she pleaded ignorance. They set up a monthly repayment plan with her paying a very minimal amount back, fro memory something like £20 per month

If you have had too much money I would also seek advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau and your union representative if you have one.

Also consider if you have to pay it back how this will effect your monthly budget, outgoings etc.

One other thought is that if your employer is right you may also have paid too much tax so that would need looking into too
    thanks for the advice folk yes it is the wrong plcae i have posted this. it was my first post on the site.am sure I will get better
This discussion has been closed.