New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Help with housing benefit

edited 12 June 2012 at 10:02AM in Housing benefit help
112 replies 148K views

Replies

• Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    dory22 wrote: »
    hello, as of last week iv had to go part time at my job due to stress and slight depression which was adviced to me by my doctor, im still living with parents but am now looking to move out as they are part of the reason i am depressed, if i was to move out could i get housing benefit/social housing and would a letter from the doctor help me as after christmas i will only be needed at my job as and when?

many thanks.

re social housing; depending on where you live the waiting list could be years
    re private let and housing benefit;
    If you are under 35 you will be assessed at the shared accommodation rate, if over 35 the one-bedroom rate
    If you find the LHA for your area then use one of the benefits calculators (like turn2us) you will see what help you may or may not get. Housing benefit will be reduced by your income and any savings
  • Hi folks

Quick reminder on the official CAB threads.

It's great that so many want to try and help answer questions but we would like to keep the sticky threads as official as possible so please only reply to questions after the official rep has posted their reply.

This doesn't apply to non sticky threads in the CAB board where any replies you are able to give are appreciated.

Thanks all

MSE Wendy
    *** Get the Martin's Money Tips Free E-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips ***
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representativeCAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    117 posts
    Hello Dory 22

With regard to re housing there are a lot of people who are trying to get social housing and there is a very limited supply. For this reason the social landlords and councils tend to have very strict criteria about who they will offer housing to. This is usually restricted to people who are very vulnerable and in " priority need". You may fall into this category but would need to discuss with your local housing office. This link will explain a bit more about your housing options.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/housing_e/housing_finding_a_place_to_live_e/finding_accommodation.htm

If you cannot get public housing then you can rent from a private landlord.

Whoever your landlord is if you are on low income you can get help with your rent , Housing Benefit. This paid by the local authority and will be restricted to the local housing allowance and must be appropriate for your needs. This means that if you are a single person over 35 you would get help based on a one bed roomed property as a person under 35 it would be based on a room in a shared house. You would need to check with your local authority what they would be paying for your individual circumstances.http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm

Once you have this figure you will have an idea what properties you will be able to afford you can then look on https://www.turn2us.org.uk to see how much help you would get with any benefits.
    Official CAB Representative
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
  • Hi,
    I have multiple sclerosis, diagnosed 5 years ago and recently my wife had to quit work to become my full time carer as my condition has deteriorated. I am on incapacity benefit and DLA my wife now claims carers allowance and income support. The problem we are now facing is the housing benefit. We re-mortgaged the house approximately 9 years ago but income support would like to know where the additional money was spent, all we can say is that it was used for a divorce settlement and house renovation. they are asking us the following;

.Value of original house at purchase
    .Value of house at remortgage
    .What remortgage money was used for
    We can not prove all the above so it looks like we will not get help with our interest payments where do we go next? We feel that we are being penalised for having MS. The mentioned mortgage was all carried out before I was diagnosed not after. If we cannot provide the answers required we shall be forced to sell our house which is now equipped to my new disability needs and acquire rented accommodation against our wishes.
    Is there any advice on what we can do to resolve this problem?
  • Hi there

We have recently sold our property to pay off outstanding debts and now face the situation where we need to find somewhere to rent (and fast!).

We have two young children and my husband and I run our own company. I have just looked up on the turn2us website and I believe we maybe entitled to help with our rental costs as last' years income was low.

The questions I have are:

1) We have enough from the house sale to hopefully pay off debts and a little aside to find somewhere to rent, pay the deposit and 6 months rent if needs be. If we do this, can we still claim the housing benefit? Will this be paid to us or the landlord - as there aren't many landlords in our area who will accept Housing Benefit. Do I need to inform the landlord of this as housing benefit will not be paying the full amount? I'm actively looking for additional employment as well, so hopefully housing benefits will be a temporary situation. We can provide guarantors and references as well.

2) Can we claim Housing Benefit if we are both Directors of the Company? It is a Ltd company, we are employees and receive payslips each month.

Would it be wise to find a suitable property first, rent it and then claim after?

I appreciate any help you can provide on this matter.

Thank you.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • CAB_Wyre_Forest_representativeCAB_Wyre_Forest_representative Organisation Representatives - Private Messages may not be monitored
    117 posts
    Hello goonasi

There are only certain loans for which you can get help from income support. They want to know what you borrowed the money for to establish whether the re mortgage money was for necessary improvements eg for your disability rather than for a new car for instance. This link will give you a better idea of what can be paid for

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/debt_e/debt_mortgage_problems_ew/debt_how_to_sort_out_your_mortgage_problems_e/help_with_mortgage_costs_if_you_re_out_of_work.htm

You should provide as much information as you can and see what the outcome is before worrying about what may happen

Your local council should have some one who is dealing with the mortgage rescue scheme and we would advise that you contact them too as they may be able to help you present your claim in a better way and help with options if there is a problem with mortgage payments
    I am an official representative of CAB. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to questions on the CAB Board. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. If you believe I’ve broken any rules please report my post to [email protected] as usual"
    117 posts
    Hello the oneandonlyme

If you are on a low income then you can get help with your rent. this link will give you more information on the rules.

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/benefits_e/benefits_help_if_on_a_low_income_ew/help_with_your_rent_-_housing_benefit.htm

Most housing benefit is paid direct to the tenant for them to pass on to the landlord so your landlord is unlikely to know that you are getting help unless you tell him.

Housing benefit is based on your income so providing you have some way of proving this then that should satisfy the local authority.

You should also check with the local authority about the Local Housing Allowance and what kind of accommodation they would regard as suitable for your family unit as this will have an impact on the amount of benefits that you will be allowed.

If you have one child for instance then you would be allowed housing benefit based on a two bed property and the benefit would be based on the local housing allowance for a two bed property. If you rented a three bed property then your housing benefit would still be calculated as if you were renting a two bed property

It is important that you do not rent somewhere that is going to allow you less benefit than you anticipated as you will have to make the short fall up from your income. You can find all these details on the website of your local council
  • I have just been made redundant. I worked for my uncle - he got me the job - but he left the company last year. Now the company has made me redundant and I am unlikely to find another job due to my disability - but I will try.
    I have just signed on for JSA but wanted to know if I might be entitled to housing benefit.

I live with my parents and paid them £30/week out of my wages. This has been an arrangement for about a year.
    On JSA I will not be able to afford to do this. Do my parents have to cover this extra cost now that I am unemployed - which seems unfair - or would I be entitled to get this "rent" paid under housing benefit rules?

So far I have not been assessed for any benefits linked to my disability because after leaving university I had a job working with my uncle and my parents have always looked after me financially.

If I did move into a flat it would cost the benefits office much more. I would like to do that one day but for now I want to help my parents out and not see them lost £30/week just because I lost my job.

Thanks in anticipation
    117 posts
    hello aspergers

Sadly you cannot claim Housing Benefit unless you are legally liable to pay rent. This link will give you most of the information but the key is that you do not hold the tenancy and although your parents would normally expect you to pay rent they cannot create a tenancy for you as this would not be allowed as it would not be viewed as a commercial arrangement as it is unlikely that your parents would evict you if you did not pay them.

You are quite right that you could get help with your rent if you moved out and it does seem unfair on your parents.

Good luck getting a new job

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/england/search.htm?query=housing+benefit
  • Caz3121Caz3121 Forumite
    14K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    aspergers wrote: »

If I did move into a flat it would cost the benefits office much more. I would like to do that one day but for now I want to help my parents out and not see them lost £30/week just because I lost my job.

You would be expected to pay your board from your JSA, just as if you were living on your own getting housing benefit, you would be expected to pay any rent top-up, gas, electric, food etc from your JSA