New Post Advanced Search

HFO debt collectors

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
5 replies 2.6K views
boabbyshaftboabbyshaft Forumite
22 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt-Free Wannabe
Hi Everyone,

I was looking for a bit of guidance in regards to a written off debt.
Naively i took out a Barclay Card almost 6 years ago but was unable to pay back and the the debt was written off, a total of £1400.
2 weeks ago i receive a courier receipt saying a letter had been attempted to have been delivered at my home and when i called it was on behalf of HFO services trying to claim back this written off debt( very underhanded )

1) If it goes buy the 6 years do i still need to pay this debt off.
or
2) As its still within the 6 years period at the moment do i need to pay it off??

Also very worried as im sure i heard debt collectors now have the legal right to break into your home to recover any debt.

I need help urgently and would really APPRECIATE anyones help on this.

Many Thanks,

Boab

Replies

• Hi first of all dont panic.
    No1, Debt collectors cannot break into your home. They are not baillifs.. Do not contact them by phone again. Can you tell me what they said to you on the phone and what you said to them. Do you have confirmation that this debt was written off. And when. Need a bit more info hun.
    Night Owl Member No 1 :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Night owl member of the threesome. Rules are for fools to follow and wise men to be guided by
    No Man is worth your tears,
    And the one who is wont make you cry !!!!!
  • Hi,

Just noticed it was written of Feb 02 so thats 5 years ago, i have a credit report, but as im aware as they have contacted me within 6 the 6 years in falls in a limitation period. As far as phone conversations go, when i called to arrange collection of this 'undelivered letter' ( not knowing it was from a debt collectors ) that is the only time so far i have spoken to them and that was just confirming my name and phone number.

Just really annoyed with myself at the situation as i hope it would blow away.
  • Hermione54Hermione54 Forumite
    176 posts
    But if you borrow money, you must expect to pay it back.
  • Very true, But pay it back to the right people. As i have said in a previous thread if someone came up to you in the street and they said you owe money to x but you have to give me the money instead, but i am going to add to the debt and make it even bigger, Would you give money to a stranger. This DCa has picked up on the fact the debt is almost statute barred. Does this DCA actually have the right to collect this money. Have they bought the debt. Do they have the consumer credit agreement. If not they cannot lawfully chase you for that debt, If the credit report shows the debt being written off by barclaycard did they then sell the debt to HFO, and we are here to advise not judge. This is by no way advice of debt avoidence. If th debt has been passed to DCA then there will most certainley charges on the account. These could be claimed back.
    Night Owl Member No 1 :rotfl: :rotfl:
    Night owl member of the threesome. Rules are for fools to follow and wise men to be guided by
    No Man is worth your tears,
    And the one who is wont make you cry !!!!!
  • RHINORHINO Forumite
    1 posts
    HELP
    I too have had HFO services ringing me about a barclaycard from 2002.The limit on the card was £300 and I thought it had been paid off they are now asking for £600+.I have had no letters from Barclaycard.What can I do?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support