Why do some people pay £10-20 extra to trade over the phone instead of online?

It doesn't make sense to me?

Surely online trading is quicker and more convenient than phoning a broker to put a trade on for you?

or am i missing a trick here by not executing a trade on the phone?
do you get better stock prices?

Replies

• opinions4uopinions4u
    19.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not everybody knows how to use the Internet.
  • PerelandraPerelandra Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Eh? Surely the prestige of "calling your broker" when with a bunch of mates down t'pub more than makes up for any additional transaction cost? :D
  • edited 1 June 2012 at 12:04AM
    IftsIfts Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    edited 1 June 2012 at 12:04AM
    adamt wrote: »
    or am i missing a trick here by not executing a trade on the phone?

Telephone can be cheaper than online, Ring395 (Part of Jarvis Investment Management Ltd) offer telephone only sharedealing service @ £3.95 fixed commission.
    Perelandra wrote: »
    Eh? Surely the prestige of "calling your broker" when with a bunch of mates down t'pub more than makes up for any additional transaction cost? :D

Funny that cos it was only last night that I was watching an episode of Only Fools & Horses, where Delboy walks around waving his Filofax in the air as he enters t'pub pretending to be a stock broker!
    Never let the perfume of the premium overpower the odour of the risk
  • edited 1 June 2012 at 9:15AM
    cepheuscepheus
    20.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June 2012 at 9:15AM
    Some less liquid stocks exceed the electronic normal market size (NMS) especially during volatile periods and need to be traded by telephone. However, opinions is correct, many people just can't access the internet or smartphone for one reason or another.
  • edited 1 June 2012 at 9:15AM
    cepheuscepheus
    20.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 1 June 2012 at 9:15AM
    Perelandra wrote: »

I expect the pub poser :cool2: who bought facebook shares :doh:will have been reduced in his prestige appeal then? :embarasse Then again at least he doesn't have to pay for other peoples rounds!
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides