Claiming PPI when declared bankrupt 2 years ago

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
2 replies 4.7K views
io17773io17773 Forumite
45 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
Can anyone please advise me if i can start a claim for PPI back if i was declared Bankrupt 2 years ago, i have been discharged over a year and don't see the point in claiming if there is no point or i am not going to see anything

i have had mixed messages some people saying yes and others saying no

any advice would be great thanks

Anthony

Replies

• dunstonhdunstonh Forumite
    106.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    i have had mixed messages some people saying yes and others saying no

There shouldnt be any mix up as the information is published and clear.

You can complain about any sale prior to your bankruptcy. However, you will not see the proceeds of any successful complaint as they will go to the official receiver. There have been a few errors in the past where money has gone to the individual. However, it is classed as a pre-bankruptcy asset and that, I believe, makes it unlawful if you do not notify the official receiver. The OR will then take it off you.

For payments made to PPI after you have been discharged, then you are free to complain and the money can come to you if your complaint is successful.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • io17773io17773 Forumite
    45 Posts
    Thanks for this dunstonh much appreciated
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up