Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Very Smelly Dog!

in Pets & pet care
5 replies 500 views
Hi

My Golden Retrevier in this current climate is loving swimming in the river every morning when I take her out -which is fab apart from the consequense of the dog/river smell which seems to radiate from her all afternoon.

I bath her monthly and hose legs and belly off daily. I also trim any extra long hair off around key areas like legs etc etc-

Any tips for de smelling her apart from buying some expensive dog DO.

Look forward to your response.:)

Replies

• krlyrkrlyr Forumite
    6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    If the smell is caused by the dampness or the river water then the best solution I see is to rinse the river water out and try to dry her off as quickly as possible really. You can get microfibre towels that absorb a bit more water than regular towels, and perhaps consider a mild odour busting shampoo once in a while - I bought some off Ebay that you dilute quite a lot so it works out a lot cheaper than the petshop shampoos.
  • MrsAtobeMrsAtobe Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    As the owner of a river-loving springer spaniel, I can sympathise, the smell is horrible, isn't it? I would second Krlyr's advice about the microfibre towels, I've got two and they do take a lot of water out of the dog's coat. Just a word of warning though, I've got the 'giant' ones for Chloe, and I wished I'd gone for bigger ones.

The other thing that I find brilliant, although I'm not using them in this weather, is a drying coat. I got mine from Freckles Designs, there's two different types, one with an underbelly and one without. I've got one of each, but I've not had a chance to try out the one with the underbelly, the weather got too warm.

Hope this has helped.
    Good enough is good enough, and I am more than good enough!:j

If all else fails, remember, keep calm and hug a spaniel!
  • gettingreadygettingready Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Try a stinky 40kg of a GS with double coat - swimming in smelly lakes and taking 2 days to dry each time... Flies die mid air the smell is so bad.. sigh...
  • vax2002vax2002
    7.2K Posts
    Forumite
    We invested in some good quality Oster cutters and they are excellent and in summer we keep him cut down to a nice length and he keeps cool and when wet dries quickly.
    They actually cut unlike the famous branded cutters you get at argos.
    Any dirt water and springers are in head first, but mention the B word, BATH and its a two person job.
    On water plan walks for running water, because green algae that you get in ponds makes them very ill and can kill, they are best kept out of ponds in summer.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • krlyrkrlyr Forumite
    6K Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    Just bear in mind that double coated breeds use their coat to keep cool as well as warm - it acts as insulation in both kinds of weather, like our household/loft insulation.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals