Bank Charges from 5yrs ago

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
5 replies 1.1K views
Lauramc_2Lauramc_2 Forumite
1 Post
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Reclaim Bank & Credit Card Charges
Hi I have just had a letter from a debt collector saying i owe £600 from a old bank account, I have been to the bank but they say they cant do anything because they closed the account (i thought i had done this in 2006) they shown me a letter they sent out out to me saying about a £35 charge and they think this is the reason why it is so much now, the letter was dated 2 weeks after i moved house, i didnt have a forwarding address for the bank because i thought i closed the account, I really dont know what to do about this i want to clear the debt but i think £600 is a lot to pay if it stared at £35.

Replies

• GlamGirlieGlamGirlie Forumite
    432 Posts
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Speak to the debt collection agency, that's all you can do at this stage.

But do it sooner rather than later or you may find it increases even more.
    I am employed as a manager in a financial services institution. My views are entirely my own.
  • McKneffMcKneff Forumite
    38.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this from 2006 then.

Hopefully it will be coming up to the statute barred time so I would google 'statute barred' if I was you.

Dont contact them yet and do not under any circumstances agree that you owe this.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • mightyjoemightyjoe Forumite
    4 Posts
    I had this problem with Nationwide as I was a victim of ID Fraud. However I said to Nationwide that the account I had with them was genuine but I had genuinely closed it. When asked how the I went over drawn they said I had a direct debt go out on the 5/5/5 so I said I went into branch 3/3/3 and then moved address. Never heard off them again and thought the account was closed. They said that they would remove the debt and close the account properly. I would ignore the debt collectors and go straight to the bank and explain to them that you had moved and closed the account if this is the case. As when you close the account you hand in bank cards, cheque books and the bank manager will cancel all direct debits. Otherwise theres statute barred.
  • Hi, sorry to hi-jack this thread. I've been contacted by 1st Credit regarding a debt (£1200) where the last payment was in August 2008. I spoke to them on the phone about this, initially thinking it had been paid by myself and my ex. I eventually acknowledged the debt over the phone and have been in discussion re: repayment but have since educated myself about statute barred debts and the 6 years ruling for England. Unfortunately for me this debt would be statute barred in august this year. Should I ignore them until august, sending a standard statute barred letter or have I scuppered myself already??? Jings Crivens! Don't know what to do. Can anyone advise?
    Thanks in advance,
    Broonsboy
  • poochpooch Forumite
    828 Posts
    BroonsBoy wrote: »
    Hi, sorry to hi-jack this thread. I've been contacted by 1st Credit regarding a debt (£1200) where the last payment was in August 2008. I spoke to them on the phone about this, initially thinking it had been paid by myself and my ex. I eventually acknowledged the debt over the phone and have been in discussion re: repayment but have since educated myself about statute barred debts and the 6 years ruling for England. Unfortunately for me this debt would be statute barred in august this year. Should I ignore them until august, sending a standard statute barred letter or have I scuppered myself already??? Jings Crivens! Don't know what to do. Can anyone advise?
    Thanks in advance,
    Broonsboy
    Here's a thought ... why not PAY UP?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up