3rd Child going to uni

Hi, I have applied to go to university this year (starting 2012/2013) and am in the process of doing my student finance. I currently have two older sister who are both at uni, one is in her final year and the other is in her 2nd year. This means I will be the 3rd child in our family to go to uni and one of my sisters says that I would be able to get a grant/some financial support for this so I was wondering if this is the case and how I would go about doing it as I am struggling to find any information on it on the direct.gov website. Thanks

Comments

• Rory_S_13 wrote: »
    Hi, I have applied to go to university this year (starting 2012/2013) and am in the process of doing my student finance. I currently have two older sister who are both at uni, one is in her final year and the other is in her 2nd year. This means I will be the 3rd child in our family to go to uni and one of my sisters says that I would be able to get a grant/some financial support for this so I was wondering if this is the case and how I would go about doing it as I am struggling to find any information on it on the direct.gov website. Thanks

If you apply for student finance you will be entitled to a loan for the full amount of tuition fees and entitled to a maintenance loan, and dependent on the household income, a maintenance grant.

You need to register on the direct gov website and following receipt of a customer reference number, you will be able to login and apply online for support.

You may choose whether you want your parents to support your application in which case you may have their income taken into account. Think you may be eligible for a non repayable grant provided their joint income, which includes salary, pensions, some benefits and interest from savings, is less than about £50,000 (can't remember the exact figure). You can use the calculator on the website to work out roughly how much you are entitled to.

When you complete the student finance application it will ask whether there are any other child dependants at Uni and this will be taken into consideration.

Whatever happens you will be eligible for a tuition fee loan and maintenance loan.

Worth also checking to see whether the uni you are going to offers any form of bursaries or scholarships for going there. My son and daughter both receive a bursary for just going to their respective unis (based on our income ). Daughter was also awarded a £1000 for her first year for her successful application for an alumni scholarship.

Hope this is of help.
    Good Luck.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family