We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Can i Microwave compost?

Options
I have 2 bags of compost that i think have got bugs/insects in them as some plants i have planted are being eaten away, and they are not even out the garden yet. so my only conclusion is the compost so could i microwave small amounts at a time to blitz anything that is living in it.:eek:
The solving of a problem lies in finding the solvers.

Comments

• tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes, but it'll dry it out and destroy the good bacteria you need for the roots. Personally I'd hunt down whatever is causing the original problem. If it's slugs, just pick them off. If it's some sort of mite it may have come in through the window. It's how I've 'caught' it before on my windowsill herbs.
    Tim
  • wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Try a small amount , then I guarantee you would give it up as a bad job.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just try slug pellets and I reckon that will solve it, or maybe it is mice

Commercial compost is generally bug free, but as wallbash intimates, not worth the effort

If you are still not convinced, buy another brand, chuck the old stuff on the garden as top dressing [the birds will eat any bugs there may be]
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • balloo_2
    balloo_2 Posts: 876 Forumite
    Options
    tim_n wrote: »
    yes, but it'll dry it out and destroy the good bacteria you need for the roots. Personally I'd hunt down whatever is causing the original problem. If it's slugs, just pick them off. If it's some sort of mite it may have come in through the window. It's how I've 'caught' it before on my windowsill herbs.
    My 10" Bay tree something is eating the leaves its in a pot of compost Indoors never been out of the house as its new, thought it was a weevle but thats to big (not that I know the size of a weevle) but i cant see what, I have been checking it day and night even set alarm to go at different times of the night. I know my eyes are failing had my missus looking too everytime she passes. So thought i would re-pot and blitz the pests. But i Wont do that now will buy another bag of anything except wicks lol

Thanks for the advice :beer:
    The solving of a problem lies in finding the solvers.
  • Andy_Davies
    Andy_Davies Posts: 187 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Quite a few people who grow for shows nuke their compost in the microwave first.
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Would a wallpaper steamer be easier? You could do more at once and just have the head thing out of the door steaming rather than putting compost in the microwave?
  • wallbash
    Options
    How much is a couple of bags of compost ?? throw it all on the compost heap and get a life!
  • adelight
    adelight Posts: 2,658 Forumite
    Options
    yeah but it willl STINK!
    Living cheap in central London :rotfl:
  • wallbash
    Options
    adelight wrote: »
    yeah but it willl STINK!

Why?,,,,,,,
  • blossomhill_2
    blossomhill_2 Posts: 1,923 Forumite
    Options
    I'd take the compost back for a refund - they may have sold you last year's and its always best to use fresh for precisely the reason you have found
    You never know how far-reaching something good, that you may do or say today, may affect the lives of others tomorrow
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure