We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Dog proof plants?

Options
Hey everyone i wondered if you could help me

We have a medium sized garden, when you walk out the back door you are immediatley on the patio area which is fenced off from the rest of the garden as this is where the dog likes to stay. After the fence we have the grass (just grass, no verges - yet - this is where im leading to)

I would like to put a border of flowers around the grass area, However, part of the verge backs on to the "dogs" fence (which is like a picket fence)

Is there any plants that I could put near the fence that won't give up and die (unfortunatley this is where the dog likes to tinkle - Can't stop him, have tried for past year!)

I know the solution is to not plant there but i would really like to...

Many thanks

Mimi

Comments

• jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    you can get a stone" dog rocks " i think its called it sits in the dogs bowl of water and neutralises the urine to stop burning plants and grass ( never used it but have read about it )
    my dog lifts his leg over most of my garden and thankfully nothing has been scorched but maybe its the amount of rain we get up here that washes it away:D
    i havent selected plants especially , maybe something a bit prickly like mahonia or holly may deter though ?
    hth
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    you can get a stone" dog rocks " i think its called it sits in the dogs bowl of water and neutralises the urine to stop burning plants and grass ( never used it but have read about it )
    my dog lifts his leg over most of my garden and thankfully nothing has been scorched but maybe its the amount of rain we get up here that washes it away:D
    i havent selected plants especially , maybe something a bit prickly like mahonia or holly may deter though ?
    hth

Thanks for that! will look into them - never heard of them :o

Dont get much rain here - we did have a conifer (SP!) in a pot and he took a liking to it and unfortunatley it didnt last much longer lol

Not sure about the prickly plants - for one we have young children (hence why the dogs blocked off from using the top garden as a lavatory!) and I think OH will fall out with me if the dog erm... hurts his bits! (OH wont even entertain the idea of getting the dog "done" lol)

Thanks again for the info
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 24 April 2012 at 10:01PM
    Options
    what will they think of next
    http://www.tinkletrousers.com/
    hope link works
  • devotee
    devotee Posts: 881 Forumite
    Options
    Has your dog destroyed any plants by peeing on them or you are just "supposing"?

Male dogs don't really scorch the grass, the females do. Nothing to do with rain.
  • Mimi_Arc_en_ciel
    Options
    devotee wrote: »
    Has your dog destroyed any plants by peeing on them or you are just "supposing"?

Male dogs don't really scorch the grass, the females do. Nothing to do with rain.

A conifer went and also did two "daisy trees" which were all fine until the dog got his "area" so it is an assumption based on that

I will not be buying the tinkle trousers lol :rotfl:
  • gibson123
    gibson123 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    My doggie tinkles all over my tiger lily and it still flowers and thrives year after year, I often throw a bucket of soapy water over it because the area can stink especially in hot weather, and this also does not kill it. I have to thin it out after the growing season and need to put on extra thick rigger gloves before i will even touch it. YUK. The lily looks lovely with the spiky leaves and bright red flowers.
  • gibson123
    gibson123 Posts: 1,733 Forumite
    Options
    what will they think of next
    http://www.tinkletrousers.com/
    hope link works

My dog has dementia and arthritis and sometimes "forgets" so I may resort ti these before much longer.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure