Mum has given me her spare BT Studio 3500 phone...

in Phones & TV
7 replies 3.2K views
...and I thought I would just be able to plug it into my phone line and away we go. It doesn't seem to work. Is it because you need to have the number 1 base for number 3 to work? I cant see anything in the instructions that helps. Am I flogging a dead horse? Can you not split up phone sets to use across two different households?

any advice gratefully received.

Replies

• jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    .Is it because you need to have the number 1 base for number 3 to work?

Yes you do.
    Can you not split up phone sets to use across two different households?

The main phone needs to be the base station which plugs into the phone line. All the others are additional handsets which communicate with the base station.
  • LifeformsLifeforms Forumite
    1.5K Posts
    Yes pretty much. BUT if you have a base unit of the same make/model you can sometimes thingie it (brain fart) to your own unit. Sometimes, as in not always and usually it'll say in the manual how many you could join to yours.
  • notbritishgasnotbritishgas Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    ...and I thought I would just be able to plug it into my phone line and away we go. It doesn't seem to work. Is it because you need to have the number 1 base for number 3 to work? I cant see anything in the instructions that helps. Am I flogging a dead horse? Can you not split up phone sets to use across two different households?

any advice gratefully received.
    Bit confused about what you have actually got but if there is a cord to plug into the phone socket as well as a mains plug then this is a base station.
    If there is only a mains plug then it is an additional handset and just needs registering with your existing base station, you have got one yes?
  • Bit confused about what you have actually got but if there is a cord to plug into the phone socket as well as a mains plug then this is a base station.
    If there is only a mains plug then it is an additional handset and just needs registering with your existing base station, you have got one yes?

Thanks for the advice. Yes NBG, I have a handset that slots into its base but the base is number 3 of 3 (I don't have base 1 or 2 as my mum has those). I plug the mains lead into the mains and the phone line into my phone socket but when I phone from my mobile to my landline, nothing (I have checked the ring volume and that is fine)
    NBG, do you know how I can register my base station if I only have base 3 of 3? Or is it as the others say, it cant be done?

Much appreciated.
  • ShelldeanShelldean Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I dont think you can seperate them. I know my bedroom & Kitcehn phones don't work unless the main base is plugged in.
    Only my main base can be plugged in the phone line. The other two don't have the lead to plug into the phone line just lead to plug into mains.
  • OK it's looking like it's a lost cause. A trip to Argos might be in store. Worth a try though I guess. Thanks all :beer:
  • jem16jem16 Forumite
    19.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the advice. Yes NBG, I have a handset that slots into its base but the base is number 3 of 3 (I don't have base 1 or 2 as my mum has those).

Only one phone has the base station, normally 1. The others are simply additional handsets which sit in a charger ( this is not called a base). The additional handsets communicate with the base station which allows it all to work.
    I plug the mains lead into the mains and the phone line into my phone socket

The additional handsets usually only have a charger unit which plugs into a mains socket. They don't usually have a phone socket.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides