We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Do I need to cover seeds when raining heavy?

Options
Hi everyone,
im a first time grower so wondered if i could get some advice please??
i have just sown peas and beetroot outside in containers (dont have anywhere to sow directly into ground so using whatever containers i can find!!) - as they are newly sown (today) and there is heavy forecast, should i cover them somehow so they dont get washed away? ive followed the instructions to the tee but the packets only said avoid overwatering ...
ive also sown some meadow flower seeds to encourage the bees and butterflies ... they are tiny seeds that are sown close to the surface - should i also cover these if it rains heavy?

this forum is fab - ive read some great advice so far!!!

oooh, just one more thing - are those cheap plastic greenhouses any good? the £30 ones from wilkingsuns??

ta very muchly :beer:
wading through the treacle of life!

debt 2016 = £21,000. debt 2021 = £0!!!!

Comments

• macma
    macma Posts: 911 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd cover the seeds if heavy rain is forecast and check that rain can drain away so the containers don't sit in puddles.
    I've got lots of plants outside and last night we had the most awful halistorm,really fierce I was certain they'd be battered but they're all fine :)
    We started off with a plastic greenhouse and it was quite useful. A word of warning we then "had to have " an 8' x6' aluminium and then we "had to have" an 15'x8' Alton and now the OH is putting up another 8'x 6' :eek:
  • cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    seeds are cheap
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If you do "invest" in a plastic greenhouse be aware that they are called 'blow away' for a reason - put a heavy block on the bottom and if you can, attach to a wall or fence.

The plastic doesn't last for ever - one, maybe two years if you're lucky.

You can make a cold frame using old windows - your local glazier will probably have plenty for free! Wooden frame windows can be screwed together with metal brackets and the gaps filled with silicone!

Temperature wise, the things you're planting should be fine outside now and heavy rain is unlikely to cause too much of a problem.
    Tim
  • jammy_dodger
    jammy_dodger Posts: 1,925 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ive just seen aldi is selling a "walk in " plastic greenhouse from this thurs for £29 i have 2 of the smaller ones and keep my young seedlings in there to get them going and use them for toms and chilli plants in grow bags over the summer ,they do work well and i can keep them close to the cottage for keeping an eye on plantlings , i used to have a poly tunnel but due to the time it took to water ( poor water pressure so couldnt use a hose ) i donated it to a new allotmenteer , am currently putting in raised beds to save me work in the long run of digging

sorry i waffled a bit

happy planting

jd
  • tiredwithtwins
    Options
    thanks for the replies everyone - very useful, thank you!!

im glad i did cover most of them up, its been raining on and off heavily overnight and for most of today - we even had 5 minutes of hail today!!

i couldnt move or cover the planters that i put the flower seeds in - guess i will have to wait and see with them!!

thanks for the tip re the plastic greenhouse blowing away!! i did mention to my oh that i wondered if we would wake to find it in the field behind us ... but i managed to weigh it down, so its still where i left it!

kids are very impatient waiting for the seeds to sprout - some close inspections going on when i got up this morning, bless em!

thanks again for the advice :beer::T

• LisaB85
    LisaB85 Posts: 2,008 Forumite
    Options
    I planted radish in the ground today 5mins before a major hail/rain storm so will see what happens lol.
  • cootambear
    cootambear Posts: 1,474 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    if they dont do well I do a second sowing

as I said before seeds are cheap

I dont bother with plants that need mollycoddling

get em out there and if they grow they grow
    Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2 = 4 (George Orwell, 1984).

(I desire) ‘a great production that will supply all, and more than all the people can consume’,

(Sylvia Pankhurst).
  • tiredwithtwins
    Options
    d'oh! didnt give a second thought to the ventilation holes in the top of the plastic greenhouse thingy ... the trough with the beetroot in was directly underneath so the they got completely waterlogged!!

ho hum, trial and error and all that :beer:

• Budget_Gardener
    Options
    Yes, don't worry about plants getting a bashing from heavy rain, unless they are little seedlings in which case a bit of protection could help (small lettuce seedlings, for instance). Seeds and plants are very resilient although they won't want waterlogging so protect them from flooding by ensuring the pots you use have holes in the bottom and, ideally, an area of stones and polystyrene at the bottom to bulk it up and let it drain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure