We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Growing My Own!

Options
lawrie28
lawrie28 Posts: 2,666 Forumite
Xmas Saver!
I thought I would start my own thread, detailing what I am doing. This is mainly so people can tell me where I am going wrong, as I don't really have much of a clue about what I should be doing, or when to do it.

So, I have a Mini Greenhouse, which is full height and has 6 shelves, 3 either side of the door. This gets a fair amount of sun, mainly first thing in the morning and then afternoon/evening.

At the moment I have inside it:

Some Strawberry plants (bought, I know, too late for seeds), and also a few planting trays.

I currently have a selection of lettuce, including Rocket, Cos and Curly oak (?), some chilli and also some capsicums. I have also planted some tomato seeds, peas and sunflowers

These where all planted last week, the Strawberries are doing well, and only the Rocket seeds are sprouting.

I know I am probably late for the peppers, chilli and toms, but thought I would give it a go anyway.

I have also some seeds on windowsills, which include Pumpkins (for the kids for halloween), toms, peppers and chillis, as well as some lettuces inside as well.

I am also thinking about what else I could/should be doing and thoughts on what else to plant. I have limited space for growing outside, in planters, pots etc.

I also had issues with slugs last year, so working out what to do with them also...

Thanks for reading, feel free to comment, criticise and help in any way,

Cheers

Comments

• pink_poppy
    pink_poppy Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi lawrie, good luck with it, I've just started 'growing my own' this year & I'm already addicted!! I started reading mrbadexample's thread on here a few weeks ago & I've been hooked ever since.

My garden is only small (& mostly North facing) so I'm planning on growing things in pots, troughs, bags etc.

The only thing I can suggest re. the slugs is to grow marigolds alongside as a companion plant to lure them away from your other plants. I've got some marigold seedlings growing in the house at the moment ~ the first thing I've ever grown so I'm rather pleased with myself :D I'm waiting for other things to appear but the marigold is the first thing to pop up so far.
    'A watched potato will never chit'...
  • youngie
    youngie Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    marigolds deter whitefly so good to grow with toms peppers chillies as for slugs try beer traps ,or sprinkle crushed egg shells round plants
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,317 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Just use slug pellets, they work. Other options are variable at best
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    Options
    I second the slug pellets they are a god send and necessary IMHO. It sounds as if you are doing really well :) the strawberrys can go outside now btw to give you abit more room. Then they can stay out all year round. You never need to bring them indoors, or even in the greenhouse.

Lettuce can go outside as well, in fact it dosn't like the hot weather much, so I guess won't like the greenhouse much either. I've never had sucess with peas so can't help there. :o I don't think you are too late with the peppers and tomatoes for what its worth, about right I would say :T

Keep us updated with how you get on, it will be a useful record for you next year as well.
  • Leif
    Leif Posts: 3,727 Forumite
    Options
    Courgettes, they do sprawl though, and too cold outside so sow indoors. Carrots outside. Chinese leaf i.e. Pak Choi.
    Warning: This forum may contain nuts.
  • lawrie28
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Linda32 wrote: »
    I second the slug pellets they are a god send and necessary IMHO. It sounds as if you are doing really well :) the strawberrys can go outside now btw to give you abit more room. Then they can stay out all year round. You never need to bring them indoors, or even in the greenhouse.

Lettuce can go outside as well, in fact it dosn't like the hot weather much, so I guess won't like the greenhouse much either. I've never had sucess with peas so can't help there. :o I don't think you are too late with the peppers and tomatoes for what its worth, about right I would say :T

Keep us updated with how you get on, it will be a useful record for you next year as well.

Thanks for the encouragement.

I have some slug pellets from last year, so will dig them out.

I'm glad I've not missed the boat on the Toms and Chillis etc. I will move the Strawberries outside shortly.

I'm just letting the lettuce get started and then that can go outside too.

The pumpkin seeds are sprouting, will keep them on the windowsill for a few weeks they they can go outside too.

Should be OK with the Peas, just need to makesure I get them repotted earlier, as left it late last year and they only grew to about 2 feet high.
  • lawrie28
    Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Leif wrote: »
    Courgettes, they do sprawl though, and too cold outside so sow indoors. Carrots outside. Chinese leaf i.e. Pak Choi.

Thanks,

Am thinking about courgettes, grew some last year, and bar giving some to a friend, the rest where just slug food.

Not thought about Pack Choi, manly because it is not something we eat.
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    Options
    Glad you are encouraged, Do get the slug pellets out, especially as it seems to be raining everywhere at the moment. They like the rain and will likely be everywhere soon.;) :eek:
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    The strawberry plants don't need to be under cover.
  • mazza111
    mazza111 Posts: 6,327 Forumite
    Options
    Poppysarah beat me to it. Strawberries thrive almost anywhere they get sun. I would start any seedlings like chilis and peppers indoors. Although greenhouses do get pretty warm. Was freezing here yesterday, I went and sat in greenhouse as my house was getting rewired. Was a lovely 30C in there
    4 Stones and 0 pounds or 25.4kg lighter :j
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport