We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

politunnel owners

Options
we read a lot when we bought it...one thing we never found anywhere was the importance of ventilation !!

after strugle at first, our tomatos, cucambers , runner beans etc were flying and all had flowers

1 day we didnt open the windows of the thing, thinking it was cold(2 weeks ago) and next day when we went to the politunnel, all but the spinach, and salad had died!!!

what a shame..were hopping to have coucambers in 3-4 weeks !! now start from scratch....i cant bear to fight the unknown vampire that kept eating my cucambers when they had 2-3 leaves...it took me 3-4 times to replace them in order for these last one to start rising up

Comments

• pedro123456
    pedro123456 Posts: 815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Well I have a polytunnel, I have the door open in the day (unless its very windy),and closed at night and so far so good,plants coming along nicely.

Are you sure it was lack of ventilation, over 1 day?, its smacks of frost damage to me, but I aint no expert.
    Campaigning to recycle Insurance Policies into Toilet Paper :rotfl:

Z
  • poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    Frost.
    A polytunnel won't stop the cold coming in.
    Some people have an inner section that's cheaper to heat.
  • peter_the_piper
    peter_the_piper Posts: 30,268 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Don't worry, a new batch will soon catch up just make sure they are protected from frost.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I think it depends where you are, but although we haven't had hard, penetrating frost for some time here in Devon, I'd not trust cucumbers and toms in the polytunnel yet.

Ventilation is very important in a tunnel, but so is realising that it has nothing like the frost-protecting qualities of a good bubble insulated greenhouse.

If all the plants you mentioned had flowers, then you started much too early without the means to sustain that growth. As Peter says, you will be able to catch up to a large extent by re-sowing, because conditions are easing and the amount of daylight is much greater.
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    It was -5.8 in my greenhouse last night, I wouldn't dream of putting anything out yet.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • Radsteral
    Radsteral Posts: 836 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys
    I m in south london, and its southfacing garden,which helps with sunlight
    Maybe too excited in january i did sow tomatos etc in cubicles and as theywerent comming out,i brought them home near radiators,
    They all came out to party and sincethey grew too much on cubbicles ihad to put them on the ground
  • Linda32
    Linda32 Posts: 4,385 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Radsteral wrote: »
    Maybe too excited

Most people do that, me included :o its the only way to learn, by getting on and doing it practically.

Don't worry if you have to sow some more seeds, they will catch up quickly. Just as quickly as those you sowed and put next to the radiator, only this time it will be due to more daylight and sunshine (when we get some) :D

And now you know what to do next year, or more to the point, what not to do! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure