Tax Payments For School Leavers

Am I living in the dark ages but I thought when you first started work you could earn a certain amount before you started paying tax - my son started a job straight from school about 6 months ago and started paying tax straight away on a single persons tax code - is this right ? If this has been the case for years please excuse my ignorance : :confused:

Comments

• dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,044
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    You can earn £4745 in this tax year without paying tax. With employees, this figure is averaged over the months remaining in the tax year. So, as long as his salary was going to exceed £4745 in the tax year, then yes, he would pay tax from first pay.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • thanks for that
  • cash99
    cash99 Posts: 269
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Check your sons payslip. If his tax code has M1 or WK1 after it then this is an emergency tax code, and he will not receive his full tax allowance for the year.

If this is the case then it's too late to change it now and you will need to claim a refund from the Inland Revenue.
    if i had known then what i know now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport