We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Bed for asparagus

Options
I have just ordered 12 asparagus crowns from Dobies :j I have always put off growing it because it takes so long, but we have been here over 6 years now, and if I had just started it when we moved in, we'd be away by now:rotfl:

Now-I am building raised beds, so one of them will be for the asparagus-will a 1.1m square bed be ok? or would it need to be in a bigger (2.2x1.1m) one?

Also-full sun or partial shade? The beds are at the top of the garden, and are pretty sunny, but I haven't fixed the spot for the small square one yet, it is going to be more central I think, so sunny all day

Will a mix of peat free compost, top soil and manure be ok? Or should I mix in some sand? Can anyone recommend an idiots guide to planting it-pref with pictures?

And finally-is there anyway to make a bare bed look pretty? :rotfl: :o If I put it in the small one, as I said, its sort of in the middle of the garden, so will be seen a lot (not so much from the house-as its up a slope about 30m away, but when we have people round in the garden it is at the top where the decking is etc.

Comments

• poppysarah
    poppysarah Posts: 11,522 Forumite
    Options
    plant crowns 30cm apart and rows 30cm apart
    according to http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingasparagus1.shtml

You can work out how much space you need - go and 'fake' planting them out to see how big it needs to be
  • ellie14
    ellie14 Posts: 1,342 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I bought y crowns from Kent Asparagus farm
    https://www.asparagus-in-kent.co.uk/
    They have a website with advice,asparagus needs quite a bit of space.

I dug my bed about 2ft down,laid a foot deep with good rotted manure,then with good top soil I made mounds one each for the crowns so they were raised away from the manure ,then covered them over with top soil and gave plenty of water.
    I did not pick the first year.
    End of season I put more rotted manure on top ,and kept the watering up to scratch,expecting a good crop again,take a look at their site and good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure