Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Weather related greenhouse question

I have just got a new greenhouse so have no experience with them. The forecast this week is pretty cold with a few nights going minus 1 or 2. I have various things in the greenhouse such as tomato plants, bedding plug plants, dahlias, begonias and a few seed trays.

Do you think the plants will be ok with this cold or should I try and master the parrafin heater that I have purchased?

Thanks for any advice. (live in central scotland)

Replies

• kerleytopskerleytops Forumite
    346 Posts
    We are in Yorkshire, have an unheated greenhouse and use bubble wrap and / or plastic fleece to cover the plants at night.
  • what kind of greenhouse is it?

Is it a "proper" greenhouse or a small plastic type one?

It also depends how the weather is in your actual garden - you can get huge variances in just one garden dependent upon a number of factors.
  • peter_the_piperpeter_the_piper Forumite
    30.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Much cheaper to master the heater than replace the plants. All my plants except pansies, violas etc are in heated greenhouses and I am 5 miles from the English Channel.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
  • what kind of greenhouse is it?

Is it a "proper" greenhouse or a small plastic type one?

It also depends how the weather is in your actual garden - you can get huge variances in just one garden dependent upon a number of factors.

Its a polycarbonate one.
  • Thanks all, I will get the heater going.
  • Just keep an eye on the weather and if frost is forecast then cover them in a blanket or duvet overnight
  • ALIBOBSYALIBOBSY Forumite
    4.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    What I do is keep some of my most tender seedlings ie toms/aubergines/chillis/peppers inside on the window sill as my "insurance" plants, the rest are in an unheated GH, but if very cold I will cover as well over night. Last year my insuance plants fruited slightly earlier, but the others caught up and were fine in the end.

Mind you although we are in the NW of england we are pretty sheltered and don't get too much late frost luckily.

Look like we will all be doing the "evening fleece dance" as OH calls it lol. Got some beet and carrots and onion planted, but they are under a fleece cloche anyway. Strawberries show be ok.

Ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

• lizzyb1812lizzyb1812 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    My greenhouse is polycarbonate - think they keep the heat a little better because of the twin wall construction. I'm using 2 of those mini greenhouses - my first "greenhouses" - as staging and luckily have kept the covers which will be going on tomorrow afternoon.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain." ~ Vivian Greene
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Cheapest Christmas dinner

We've crunched the numbers to find the best prices

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum