We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What to plant near compost bins

Options
quietheart
quietheart Posts: 1,875 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
when i got my plot there were four 4' x 4' wooden slatted beds for compost. i've reduced this to 2, one for woody bits and a quicker one.
This leaves me with 2 - '4 x4' beds full of compost so ready to plant really.
They are only 2 ft away from the working compost though so there'll be plenty of slugs and snails. I have frogs galore and don't want to use slug pellets.
What should I plant. Things that might work are rasps (i have loads of rogue canes to move), rhubarb? I'm thinking permanent beds so there's less new growth to tempt them. Though I've got enough fruit bushes. Would be open to veg suggestions also. Any ideas from those in the know? :D

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    With rich compost like that, I would go for courgettes, or maybe a melon, or tomatoes. A squash would romp away from each one
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • quietheart
    Options
    I'd forgotten squash! Thanks that's great, i'd grown a giant pumpkin in there previously and totally forgotten that it worked.
    Cheers.
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't forget to plant a squash/marrow/courgette on to p of each heap (and on any plastic compost bins anyone else has). Huge produce, succulent and tasty and, best of all, when it's done, you just fold it in the heap and it rapidly rots away.
    The raspberries will do great, but remember they have surface roots, so try not to disturb them.
  • quietheart
    Options
    DaftyDuck wrote: »
    The raspberries will do great, but remember they have surface roots, so try not to disturb them.

so would you suggest moving with soil attached? some of the roots are 4 ft long, can i chop into them? I sound like an idiot but somehow manage to grow stuff!
  • DaftyDuck
    DaftyDuck Posts: 4,609 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Raspberries are tough plants, but take as much of the root ball as you can, and plant at the same depth as you took them out at, and then water well. Don't worry if you chop through the longer roots; it may set them back a bit this year, but they'll be fine the next.
    I meant not to disturb them once planted... they'll need weeding, but pull the weeds, don't hoe heavily.
  • quietheart
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
    Unfortunately I've loads of couch grass around my raspbs. Evil stuff with ludicrously long roots.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure