We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Pond help requested.

Options
juliebunny
juliebunny Posts: 1,705 Forumite
Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
Hello, I need to re-line my pond this weekend urgently before the hosepipe ban comes into effect, but I'm not sure what to do with the goldfish when I do it - would they be ok in a bucket? I have gold fish and froggies (or they may be toadies) who are probably near to spawning so want to get the job done in a couple of hours and with minimal upset to them.

I've already lost 2 fish last week as I hadn't noticed how low the level had got :( I'm not sure if there is a leak or it's just evaporating but the liner is very old. It's going to be a rushed job as I've never done it before so will just lay the new liner over the old one. I plan to get a proper job done at some point.
Less stuff, more life, love, laughter and cats!
Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!

Comments

• wellused
    wellused Posts: 1,678 Forumite
    Options
    Get a container as big as you can place it in a shady area and fill it to within 6 inches of the top to prevent the fish jumping out, include as much of the original pond water as you can and leave it for a couple of days or overnight at least, as long as there aren't too many fish and as long as they aren't too big they should be OK for a few hour. When you fill the repaired pond again add water from the old pond so keep as much of this as you can, if you can leave the new pond to stabilize and for the water temperature to reach ambient levels the fish won't be shocked when you move them from the container back into the pond.
  • dragon47
    dragon47 Posts: 90 Forumite
    Options
    I'm fairly sure you are still allowed to use a hosepipe to top-up and fill ponds that contain fish even during a HP ban.

When you fill the newly lined pond with tap water, it's best to let it stand for about a week to let all the chlorine out before putting the fish back in. This is not something you should do in a hurry!
  • juliebunny
    Options
    Thank you for your advice! I've got a small wheelie bin (clean) so I'll start filling that with water over the next few days.

And yes, I found out today from a lovely person on MSE that I can still use my hosepipe to fill up the pond as I have fishies in it, but being a good citizen I really need to get it fixed anyway....just fingers crosssed the froggies don't spawn before the weekend....times like this all my feminine liberation goes out the window and I just want to call a man in to do the job cos I know it's gonna be hard work....:D
    Even if I'm on the shopping threads, it doesn't mean I'm buying! Sometimes it's good to just look and then hit the CLOSE button!
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,960 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    When I extended my pond I put my fish in a neigbours paddling pool filled with the pond water for a few hours while I put the new liner down. ( I had already dug the extension so just had to knock through)

Its perfectly ok to fill with hose water but just make sure you have some of this http://www.pondkeeper.co.uk/blagdon-fresh-start-1-litre/p461 or similar to make it fish safe.

Are you sure you dont already have a pond full of frogspawn because I know I have, its everywhere ! :rotfl:
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • juliebunny
    Options
    Pretty sure I don't have frogspawn as yet but if you have it then mine must be due any day....unless the pond is so bad they have decided not to come back this year....I lost another baby goldfish today :( which make it 3 this week so there is obviously something going wrong in my pond.:(

I'm off work tomorrow so jobs are: clean out filter, fill up pond and measure up, then off to pond shop to get liner and that stuff to mean I can fill it up quicker (thanks Sarah), also will also cut back lavendar which has been dropping into pond in case that is causing problems.

Then to pull up paving slabs holding liner down...eek. May be able to get something like a baby bath from our local bootie at weekend. Got some mesh to cover it in case of jumping fish (didn't know they could do that!) and curious kitten. I won't use a paddling pool cos my last kitten nearly drowned in my last one so I go rid of it. Just got to her in time....she was paddling furiously to stay afloat as she could not get, poor thing and very scary.
  • shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Options
    You can put your fish in a water butt if you have one, at least the water will be soft for them, thats what I use to do when I had fish in my pond.........:DYea youve got a big job on when you start work on the pond...:eek:
  • sarah1972
    Options
    juliebunny wrote: »
    Pretty sure I don't have frogspawn as yet but if you have it then mine must be due any day....unless the pond is so bad they have decided not to come back this year....I lost another baby goldfish today :( which make it 3 this week so there is obviously something going wrong in my pond.:(

I'm off work tomorrow so jobs are: clean out filter, fill up pond and measure up, then off to pond shop to get liner and that stuff to mean I can fill it up quicker (thanks Sarah), also will also cut back lavendar which has been dropping into pond in case that is causing problems.

Then to pull up paving slabs holding liner down...eek. May be able to get something like a baby bath from our local bootie at weekend. Got some mesh to cover it in case of jumping fish (didn't know they could do that!) and curious kitten. I won't use a paddling pool cos my last kitten nearly drowned in my last one so I go rid of it. Just got to her in time....she was paddling furiously to stay afloat as she could not get, poor thing and very scary.

Good Luck with all your chores today! Hopefully a fresh new pond will help out with not losing any more fish.

Sorry to hear about your cat with the paddling pool, thank god you got there in time ! There are so many things that are hazards that we just dont think about isnt there.

I will be thinking of you today, it will all be worth it in the end when you look at your lovely new pond and healthy fish and of course lots of little froggies soon !!

One thing I will say is that when I went out to my pond last night with a torch I saw a family of newts scuttering around the bottom of my pond so look out for them when you drain it.

GOOD LUCK :beer::beer:
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • juliebunny
    edited 23 March 2012 at 5:39PM
    Options
    Thanks Sarah! Today didn't exactly go as planned....once I'd fished out (excuse the pun) the filter from behind a rampant Honeysuckle plant I discovered it had fallen over on it's side so I'm wondering if that was leaking causing the pond to go down so much. I'm ashamed to say it was really badly clogged up so I've given a thorough clean, topped up the pond and now running it through. Saw 3 big goldfish and 2 or 3 smaller ones, who were loving the pond being so full up again. Cleaned out the start of some of that horrid green weed stuff I can't remember the name of, took out all the plant debris and cut back the lavender. Then some family turned up to help me with a few jobs around the house so got a bit sidelined....

The Big Pond Job is still to be done therefore....am going to a jumble sale tomorrow and on the look out for baby bath or similar. Pond shop will prob be Sunday now.

I inherited the pond when I moved in ten years ago. I've never added any fish. Am wondered whether it's bad because they should all be inbred but not keen to stock up until I know it's a good habitat for them.

Edit - OMG, I'm so excited! I just spied a big fat toad in my pond!! This is great because a) it means the water is clearing that I could see him (bad pond owner!) and b) they are still around and fingers crossed I could be an auntie in the morning!
  • sarah1972
    Options
    juliebunny wrote: »
    Thanks Sarah! Today didn't exactly go as planned....once I'd fished out (excuse the pun) the filter from behind a rampant Honeysuckle plant I discovered it had fallen over on it's side so I'm wondering if that was leaking causing the pond to go down so much. I'm ashamed to say it was really badly clogged up so I've given a thorough clean, topped up the pond and now running it through. Saw 3 big goldfish and 2 or 3 smaller ones, who were loving the pond being so full up again. Cleaned out the start of some of that horrid green weed stuff I can't remember the name of, took out all the plant debris and cut back the lavender. Then some family turned up to help me with a few jobs around the house so got a bit sidelined....

The Big Pond Job is still to be done therefore....am going to a jumble sale tomorrow and on the look out for baby bath or similar. Pond shop will prob be Sunday now.

I inherited the pond when I moved in ten years ago. I've never added any fish. Am wondered whether it's bad because they should all be inbred but not keen to stock up until I know it's a good habitat for them.

Edit - OMG, I'm so excited! I just spied a big fat toad in my pond!! This is great because a) it means the water is clearing that I could see him (bad pond owner!) and b) they are still around and fingers crossed I could be an auntie in the morning!

Wow, you have made a big dent in your chores!

Fantastic Well Done and I wish you well 'Auntie'

x
  • juliebunny
    Options
    No froggie spawn today but tomorrows another day! At least the pond is clearing nicely now and seems to be holding the water....:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure