Advent-ures in the MSE Forum... Our Advent calendar is live, helping you discover a new corner of the community each day. Visit the homepage and scroll down

Cat furniture repellant..

Natty68Natty68 Forumite
3.2K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
Forumite
Does anyone know of any old style receipe for a cat furniture repellant spray that can be used instead of buying a shop bought chemical spray.

I know the one I was looking at in the shop had citrus in it as cats don't like citrus smells, but I was wondering if I could make my own. The trouble is I wouldn't know what ingredients to use..

Any help would be very much appreciated as we are due to get a new three piece suite and my two younger cats like to use the armchair to stretch up on..grr!! They don't use scratching posts as they basically ignore them, the older one of the two hates it with a passion. And the other one follows what he does..lol

:(Struggling financially :(

:) Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17 :)

Replies

• QueenieQueenie Forumite
    8.8K Posts
    You could add drops of lemon/orange essential oil to some water and use that ... however, I've found the best way to "train" my cat wasn't to spray the furniture, but to spray the cat (plain water) when I caught him doing something that conflicted with the house rules. Doesn't hurt them and they soon learn.

Not all cats like scratching posts but sometimes prefer a scratching mat - preferring horizontals to verticals - don't ask me why? :confused: Maybe that is something you could consider as an alternative to the post?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Natty68Natty68 Forumite
    3.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    Thanks Queenie :) I shall definately have a look around for a suitable horizontal scratching mat for the little darlings.. :D

I've tried spraying water, the older of the two just sits there defiantly staring at me when I do it. But I think it might be something I have to persevere with.

:(Struggling financially :(

:) Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17 :)
  • JayarJayar Forumite
    735 Posts
    We had a problem with our cat scratching the door post in the kitchen. We tried everything (including citrus peel) but the only thing that would keep her away was banana peel rubbed into the wood.
    A friend is someone who overlooks your broken fence and admires the flowers in your garden.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Is your local HSBC closing?

114 branches to shut in 2023

MSE News

Advent Competitions

The countdown is on

MSE Forum

Baileys £10 for 1L at Tesco

When you scan your Clubcard

MSE Deals