We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

25L or 5gallon pots

Options
Any one know where I can find either free or very cheap 25l/ 5 gallon buckets/ pots like paint and cleaning liquids come in? Want to make some self watering pots and these seem to be the most used, people seem to make it appear easy to aquire them but I am coming up blank. I got some of the flower pots at morrisons but would love some bigger buckets to use.

Comments

• Marco_Panettone
    Options
    Depending on where you live you might be able to pick up big empty cooking oil tins from takeaway places, often in the evening from next to rubbish bins! They're 20-25l.

We've used them as plant pots for some veggies with some success.
    It's only numbers.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have a drive around any of these industrial sites where they have units let out to different small companies and you may see old barrels and drums sitting outside.
    I put petrol in my tank once (it was a diesel) and had to drain it, so just went into one of thee places and asked for a few, they were glad to get shut. They may need a good cleaning depending what was in them.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • youngie
    youngie Posts: 999 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    try asking on freecycle maybe a local decorator would have some
  • Ambidou
    Ambidou Posts: 96 Forumite
    Options
    I'll second the takeaway route, the one behind us constantly throws out big 40-50L cans that were used to store rapeseed oil. Other than that, i get mine from the local allotment association for free, might be worth asking them, HTH
  • GreenTricky
    Options
    Some great suggestions guys, will check out the take aways
  • Marco_Panettone
    Options
    You should be able to get a good variety from takeaways. Of the 6 we have we have 4 different colours and 3 sizes!
    It's only numbers.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport