We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Potting on propagator seedlings

Options
Hi everyone,

I now have tomatoes, leeks, cauliflower, broccoli all started off in my little modules in the propagator (not heated).
My moneymaker tomatoes are about 3inch high and starting to get their second leaves, my leeks are about 2inch high and broccoli/cauli are an inch.

When should I be repotting them all on? Tomatoes I know I have to wait for the second leaves to develop but this is my first time growing anything so not sure what the next step is. The next size pot I have is 6" I havent got any 3" so would it be ok to use the 6" and put a couple of plants in or best off getting my hands on some 3"?

These will eventually be going into raised beds which we are in the middle of organising but how deep do my raised beds need to be for these? My soil isnt going to be good enough this year to go ahead straight in the ground so having to make do with pots/containers and raised beds which Ill hopefully fill with manure and compost.

Comments

• tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    yes, just a waste of compost/space really. Just fill the 6" pots with 3" of compost :) Or just fill them up completely and they can live in there for longer taking up more space.

Leggy tomatoes can be buried up to the 1st leaves when planting up. The furry bits on the stem turn into roots.

I've never potted on leeks, just put them straight outside after aclimatising them.

Still time to put rotted manure onto the beds! Let the worms do most of the work and it'll keep in the recent rain water. Turn it before you plant if you can be bothered.

If you do plant in poor soil, they'll be OK, just start feeding earlier.
    Tim
  • ellebee1986
    ellebee1986 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    brilliant thanks Tim, if i can get my hands on some manure and spread it over the weekend, how long should I wait to plant in it?

I think it was yourself who I saw suggesting layering cardboard down instead of a weed membrane and im stockpiling cardboard as we speak for my raised beds Ive account about 2ft of depth for my raised beds will this be suitable for most plants do you think?
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it's rotted and dug in you can get on and plant it pretty much straight away. I've planted into pure fresh (no soil) and you loose a few but it's not too bad and the added heat as it breaks down seems to help the more mature plants. You can also dig in fresh as well - whatever comes to hand. Pretty much all manure is good unless it's chicken, that's a bit too strong to start with and needs about a 6m wait before sticking it on the garden (or buy it in pellets in buckets from the local garden shop). A tub goes a long way though.

With chicken pellets, just plant out now then scatter some later when you've got a chance. Just make sure the bed is pretty much weed free.

2ft is ideal for almost everything except trees really.

You can of course lay cardboard on top of the bed as well as underneath - it may need weighing down or pegging, cut a hole in it, plant through it and you'll not have to weed for a while! Worms will dig it into the soil as it rots.
    Tim
  • ellebee1986
    ellebee1986 Posts: 166 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks Tim didnt think to use cardboard on the top as well!

I think its still a bit early for my leeks to be going outside so will they be ok in their little modules until april/may or should I risk transplanting them into larger pots? My broccoli and cauliflower both say transplant out in april too so assuming these will be ok in the modules until then too?
  • Yorkie1
    Yorkie1 Posts: 11,579 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Leeks and brassicas are pretty hardy; mine are outside in one of those little polyhouses (4 tier).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport