We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Magnolia - from pot to ground?

Options
elsien
elsien Posts: 32,945 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
I have a magnolia stellata which is in a pot because a) I have a small garden and b) it came as a freebie labelled dwarf, and at the time I didn't realise how big a dwarf magnolia can get.
It is now starting to outgrow its pot and sending a root through the hole in the pot and into the ground.
So I'm debating in my quite small garden whether it's feasible to keep it pruned with its roots trimmed and keep it in a pot (I probably can't go much bigger on the pot front), or to hoik out another boring tree/shrub thing and try it in the garden instead.
I don't want it to get massive, so would it be possible to keep a stellata pruned to keep it at a maximum height of 6 foot, and keep it slightly narrower than high without killing it?
Thanks
All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.

Comments

• tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would imagine so, most trees and shrubs can be kept manageable otherwise bonzai wouldn't exist... it's certainly what I plan with my cherry trees in my back garden!

You can put it in about now assuming you're not expecting a frost. I've just planted a few bare root ones - the time for planting them is fast running out, but I've put bare root in outside normal times and they've been fine anyway. with a pot you shouldn't have a problem unless the ground like mine is utterly waterlogged.
    Tim
  • stumpycat
    stumpycat Posts: 597 Forumite
    Options
    I moved a magnolia stellata from a pot to the ground about a year and a half ago. It has stayed much the same size, but looks so much happier! :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure