We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Bare rooted fruit trees & bushes not ready to plant what to do

Options
TallGirl
TallGirl Posts: 5,598 Forumite
Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
Hi
I am redesigning my garden and have ordered a load of new fruit tress and bushes planning on mosts of them being delivered in 2 weeks rather than now. I will be ready to plant everthing out in 10 days. We live on the South Coast of England.

However that did not work out so what do I do now:
  1. 4 dwarft fruit trees delivered today wrapped in plastic all in one lump.
  2. Got yesterday, Rasberry, Redcurrent and Blackberry again bare rooted all in a lump
  3. Got yesterday Blueberrys (with soil but in small bags) got the pots but the acid soil will not arrive until Tuesday
I have plenty of pots and normal compost.

Please help I dont want to kill everything.
Save £12k in 24 No 50
PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Jun £30K + £12K added to pension & £1850 withdrawn) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125 May £0) 
Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2026 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I would put them in pots with compost in the interim and water well. For a few days i have put things in buckets of water.
  • tim_n
    tim_n Posts: 1,607 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I had my bare rooted trees sitting in their bags for about a week or two in my cold lean too. they were fine. I'd still go with what lostinrates says however and try to get them in something. The plastic bags will keep them moist meantime. We moved the fruit trees three times in as many months and kept loosing their leaves which they didn't like, but they're all showing signs of budding this year now they're in their permanent home.
    Tim
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Thanks both of you would you split them or plant them together at the moment all 4 trees are in a large bag so are the 3 fruit bushes.

I will move them to the garage that way they wont get too cold tonight out side and then get them into pots tomorrow.

Thanks for your help its typical something gets delivered early when you don't want it.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50
    PB Win 21 £225, 22 £275, 23 £900, Balance Jun £30K + £12K added to pension & £1850 withdrawn) (Wins 24 Jan £200 Feb £150 Mar £75 Apr £125 May £0) 
    Plan to move to Denmark for FIRE by 2026 “May your decisions reflect your hopes not your fears”
    New diary aiming for fire https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6414795/mortgage-free-now-aiming-for-fire#latest

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Thanks both of you would you split them or plant them together at the moment all 4 trees are in a large bag so are the 3 fruit bushes.

I will move them to the garage that way they wont get too cold tonight out side and then get them into pots tomorrow.

Thanks for your help its typical something gets delivered early when you don't want it.

I would bput them each in a pot, so that if it takes longer than you hope they can at least not have roots disturbed too much when planted into its set place.

Fwiw, i had a delivery of hedging two days after odering when i expected two weeks!
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Thanks lost in rates managed to find the instructions and it says they can stay in the plastic bag for up to two weeks. I don't fancy that for so now I have put the bag in a bucket in my garage and I have pourted some water over it (its got holes in it). Then tomorrow I will have a go at getting them into pots.

I had ordered 4 3l pots at the same time but they were ofcourse the only thing not being delivered with the trees. Typical just like your hedge.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• tim_n
    Options
    TallGirl wrote: »
    Thanks lost in rates managed to find the instructions and it says they can stay in the plastic bag for up to two weeks. I don't fancy that for so now I have put the bag in a bucket in my garage and I have pourted some water over it (its got holes in it). Then tomorrow I will have a go at getting them into pots.

I had ordered 4 3l pots at the same time but they were ofcourse the only thing not being delivered with the trees. Typical just like your hedge.

I bought some on Saturday and noticed it said the same - mine are currently in the shed. Went a bit mad and bought 7 trees including one I've just ordered from a website for five times the price :(

If I don't plant it in my back garden it'll join the hedging plants down at my scout hall.
    Tim
  • TallGirl
    Options
    I have managed to get the fruit bushes into a pot and I am keeping the trees in the garage. Should be ready to plant within 10 day now.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

• tim_n
    Options
    Good luck! Mine looked like they died last year dropping their leaves in mid summer due to a poor watering regime, but they're back this year already.
    Tim
  • TallGirl
    Options
    Pots just turned up so shall put them in there tonight. Panic over they look fine so far and it gives me more time to get the ground ready.
    Save £12k in 24 No 50

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport