We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Tulips

Options
How many seasons can I expect from tulip bulbs? I have planted loads in pots and once they have flowered will transfer to the garden. A neighbour mentioned to me that I will be lucky if they flower for more than one season.

Any advice welcome

Comments

• lostinrates
    lostinrates Posts: 55,283 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    How many seasons can I expect from tulip bulbs? I have planted loads in pots and once they have flowered will transfer to the garden. A neighbour mentioned to me that I will be lucky if they flower for more than one season.

Any advice welcome

I noticed monty don said in this last season of gardeners world to treat them as annuals and consider reflowerers a bonus rather than an expectation.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,342 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    They should flower year after year, like daffodils, but experience proves otherwise

Monty has it right, plant in the garden, hope for the best. Full sun & good drainage will help
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • grannybroon
    grannybroon Posts: 2,214 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for the info. I will replant and hope for the best!
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,215 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I've got some which come back every year good as new, but others get smaller & smaller flowers each year before giving up altogether......& some just don't bother at all! If the bulbs I've previously had in containers look in good condition, I put them in the garden & any extra flowers I get is a bonus.
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure