We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

What potato varieties are you growing this year?

Options
I'm planting International Kidnet;Desiree;Maris Piper and might try some freebies someone gave me Sharpo Mira and Melody. What are you planting?

Comments

• Sally_A
    Sally_A Posts: 2,266 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Charlottes are my favourites, a 2nd early that still hold their own into maincrop; so I have about 44 of them chitting.

Bought Pentland Javelin as my earlies this year, not tried them before, but they seem to have good reviews, so about 40 of those too.

Just finding it hard to source my maincrop of Sante at reasonable prices, hopefully our local Homebase will have them in soon, if not I'll try Chepstow Garden Centre in a week or two when I'm over there for work (always worth a toilet stop, and a browse).

I tried a few strange varieties a few years back, Pink fir apples were the only ones that got me interested, but they are such a faff to peel because of their nobbly shape.........lovely taste though. Anya's are another one I may try one year (but not this year).
  • djohn2002uk
    djohn2002uk Posts: 2,323 Forumite
    Options
    I'm going to try International Kidney too. If I get near the seaside I'll get some seaweed to try and replicate the flavour of the old Jersey Royals, before Europe stopped them using seaweed. Failing that I'll try some seaweed fertiliser.
  • Emma_whitnash
    Options
    Charlottes for me :). May try some Maris Pipers as well
  • Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Maris piper, because my seed place had ran out of Kestrel, my favourite and the best that grows so far in my plot.
    I need to send my OH to buy me some kestrel, she works close to my seed place, but maybe Maris piper will do well for me, I haven't tried them before.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • angeltreats
    angeltreats Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've ordered Red Duke of York (first earlies, never had them before so hope they're nice), Charlotte (second earlies) and Rooster (maincrop). I'll probably get some Maris Piper too as they are my favourite mutipurpose spud :D
  • Bramleyapple
    Options
    Last year was the first year on my 'plot' and I had great success with Rocket (first early) and a good crop of Desiree later, although they had scab - didn't affect the eating :D
    This year I'm off to a potato campaign next week and hope to grow lots of different varieties to see what I can discover - it'll be fun :j
  • Mayflower10cat
    Options
    Red Duke of York, very tasty and reliable! Probably will be doing Edzell Blue again as they make fabulous oven chips. Always come back to Pink Fir as they are delicious. International Kidney always goes well and so tasty. Katriona we did a few years ago, very good. Ratte we grew several times then the seed potato crop failed and you couldn't get it anywhere. They are longish tubers, not as knobbly as pink fir but they have a delicious flavour not unlike chestnuts - the slugs love 'em so you have to watch out for that.
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I'm going to try International Kidney too. If I get near the seaside I'll get some seaweed to try and replicate the flavour of the old Jersey Royals, before Europe stopped them using seaweed. Failing that I'll try some seaweed fertiliser.
    That is brilliant! I thought JR's didnt taste as they used to but thought it was me getting old. Will be investigating seaweed fert :j:T:T:beer:
  • Sambucus_Nigra
    Options
    Amorosa, Mr Little's Yeltholm Gypsy, Kestrel if I can find some, and Charlotte.
    If you haven't got it - please don't flaunt it. TIA.
  • soccermom
    Options
    trying some Lady Christl for the first time and my favourite vivaldi.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure