We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Potatoe planter

Options
spadoosh
spadoosh Posts: 8,732 Forumite
Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
Hey,

Been having a think about potatoe planters and would like to know if my idea will work or the drawbacks of it.

Want to grow spuds again this year but sick of using the silly bags, the soil is a nightmare to keep good, the bags are ugly and they normally only produce about 2 'new' new potatoes. What im thinkng is a stacking square planter which i will build up as the spud develops, was just thinkin 4 planks of wood with an offset support to keep the whole stack stable. Was thinking of keeping it untreated (though will be pressure treated from shop) (suggestions of treating without damging crop welcome) about 50 x 50cm doing 3 or 4 of these maybe lasting a couple of years.

Now i know a few might/will say just grow them in the ground (easier better what have ya) but the puppy will have other ideas and ill end up with no spuds, that and i really dont want to have to wire everything off.

Ideas, suggestions, tips welcome!!

Comments

• Lotus-eater
    Lotus-eater Posts: 10,789 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Get rid of the puppy?

Get an allotment? :D

Yeah your idea should be fine, I can't seeing it growing any better potatoes than the bags though.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • spadoosh
    Options
    1)No chance, think ill be got rid of before the pup
    2)I wish, the missus would be getting rid of me again if i had one.
    3)Whats the difference in the ground though, is it just more established soil?

Just thought the volume, rigidity and the fact it could breath a bit better would help
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Moisture is the main difference, in the ground you get alot and the tiny little roots from the plants can go really deep and get more moisture and nutrients from deeper than a pot.
    Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes.
  • spadoosh
    Options
    Sorry to bring up an old thread but its the same topic so didnt want to start a new one.

My new idea is tyres!!

Getting 4/5 old car tyres and stacking them up as the plants grow. Figured it would be almost free to get a few old tyres as no one likes them knocking around. Now, would there be any problems with the rubber? (any contamination issues, or increased heat, or sweating or whatever)

Also thought the tyre walls would be good for water retention as it would get trapped in there.

I like recycling and not wasting stuff so thought it could be a quirky little feature. I know having tyres in the back garden isnt to everyones taste but is it feasible? Anyone else tried this?!
  • annie123
    annie123 Posts: 4,256 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    First used tyres in 1983....just moved into a little flat with a tiny patio and garden bit, and my 3 year old. Little one painted the tyres every year with poster paints and they worked really well. Also used them for growing other bits and bobs. My grandparents gave me the idea at the time.
    Never had any issues with contamination, and they lasted years and years.

When we moved to this place 20 years ago hubby put the tyres in the front garden waiting to be moved in to the back garden. Never did move them so they stayed planted in the front........only I paint tyres better than my DS;) then one day a few years ago someone nicked the whole lot :mad: couldn't believe it when I walked out the door all that was left was a pile of loose bits of earth.
    I assume they were very hungry! also happened with an old drawer planted with lettuce so now I only grow out the back.

You do get a better crop out of the ground I always find. I always placed my tyres on the clay soil, dug over as much as I could.
    Except for a few new spuds I grow all of mine in the ground now. Hubby fed up with our home looking like an allotment.

I have also earthed up with straw and crumpled newspaper with good results.
  • SailorSam
    SailorSam Posts: 22,754 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    If you've got an old dustbin you can use that.
    Liverpool is one of the wonders of Britain,
    What it may grow to in time, I know not what.

Daniel Defoe: 1725.
  • torbrex
    torbrex Posts: 71,340 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    Options
    I used to work in a sheet metal factory and I made a sectioned barrel from galvanised steel for planting tatties, it worked like a dream.
    Each section was about 24" diameter and 10" deep with support struts to lock into the section below.
    I turned over the soil really well before half burying the first section then planted 3 seeders equally spaced, then it was just a case of topping up with soil as required and adding another section as well. I eventually got it up to 4 sections high (about 3ft) and just kept it well watered for the rest of the season before getting a bumper crop in September.

I don't think it would work as well with 'earlies' but the main crop I used (?) was OK

(I might still have the sections in the shed and might be pursuaded to dig them out and take a photo)
  • Lotus-eater
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Bob Flowerdew uses the tyre idea, although there has been contamination worries recently, which I think some people advised against using them.
    Seeing the oil that comes out of old tyres when left in water, I've never felt comfortable enough to use them.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure