New Post Advanced Search

Online estate agents and conveyancing

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
43 replies 14K views
Dig_disasterDig_disaster Forumite
3 posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in House Buying, Renting & Selling
Hi guys,

I have decided to use an online estate agent to save money. have had all the local ones round to value the house and found them to be incompetent and slimy so online it is :)

I was impressed by the look of house tree and also emoveuk but cannot find any reviews about them on the net. Has anyone used them? I hear lots of good things about house network but for what I want it is much more than emove and for the same price house tree includes the conveyancing!

Also any recommendations for online conveyancing would be great.

Many thanks folks :beer:

Replies

• EmmziEmmzi Forumite
    8.7K posts
    *sets stopwatch for arrival of timmyt*
    Debt free 4th April 2007.
    New house. Bigger mortgage. MFWB after I have my buffer cash in place.
  • WebGuruWebGuru Forumite
    104 posts
    All off the online estate agents are available at www.cheapmove.co.uk

I've used House Network and they were good.

No idea about conveyancing mind you.
  • edited 25 January 2012 at 9:45PM
    Hoof_HeartedHoof_Hearted Forumite
    2.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 25 January 2012 at 9:45PM
    Emmzi wrote: »
    *sets stopwatch for arrival of timmyt*

Googler and Richard Webster will pop up too, no doubt.
    Je suis sabot...
  • Richard_WebsterRichard_Webster Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have decided to use an online estate agent to save money. have had all the local ones round to value the house and found them to be incompetent and slimy so online it is

Sad the local ones weren't much good.

How will the online people value your house? What do they know about your area? Looking in Zoopla etc is all very well but it is all automatically generated and may slur over important differences between house types.

There are plenty of other threads about online solicitors and others may comment in due course....
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • googlergoogler Forumite
    15.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh well, since it's expected of me.... 2h46m since OP, I must be slipping.
  • We are using a conveyancer who is in effect an online one, although they just happen to be in my local town.
    They have an online log in so I can check the progress but have kept me up to date via email and the odd phone call.
    I don't know about you but I'm used to dealing with paperwork via email so I don't find it strange or any worse than the traditional way. Maybe it's because I've had a good experience, to date, but I don't see why not, especially if it's saving you money.
  • Richard_WebsterRichard_Webster Forumite
    7.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    We are using a conveyancer who is in effect an online one, although they just happen to be in my local town.
    They have an online log in so I can check the progress but have kept me up to date via email and the odd phone call.
    I don't know about you but I'm used to dealing with paperwork via email so I don't find it strange or any worse than the traditional way. Maybe it's because I've had a good experience, to date, but I don't see why not, especially if it's saving you money.

The trouble is that it is easy to generalise. There are good bits and bad bits.

I think the general concern is about large organisations that seek to make money by using low grade case handlers and fob people off with progress reports which don't mean anything unless you understand the process anyway.

So there are good bits and bad bits. PPL, for instance. There is a thread about them and much may be true, BUT when dealing with the them you do get the name of a real person who very often is a qualified solicitor and I can get through to their e-mail (unlike Countrywide who don't publicise their e-mail at all, and have on occasion told me they want stuff as a hard copy). So we get stuff going back and forth with PPL by e-mail - try doing that with some others.

On the other hand I e-mailed some enquiries on Saturday 21st to a solicitor in a town in North Yorkshire and have just received a letter asking for them - so, I had to use older generation technology - sent a fax suggesting he looks at his e-mails.
    RICHARD WEBSTER

As a retired conveyancing solicitor I believe the information given in the post to be useful assuming any properties concerned are in England/Wales but I accept no liability for it.
  • Hi all,

cheers for the replies, the recommendations seem thin on the ground. All the threads seems to say House network is great, but what about the others?

Also with the conveyancing, we used conveyancing network previously, as did one of my best friends and they were a total nightmare. In the end I had to go to a local solicitor, however am still game for trying other online ones, they can't all be bad? or is this the case? Maybe the extra money is worth it in this case??
  • WebGuruWebGuru Forumite
    104 posts
    Dig Disaster

Any update on the Online Estate Agent front? What did you decide in the end?
  • hey, still waiting to see if I can find any recommendations for emove or house tree. Anyone know anything about these guys?
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support