Elite Calls £395 termination fee

Options
Hi,
im trying to sort something out on behalf of my mum, she signed up to elite calls around 4 years ago after been told by a salesperson they were a part of the bt company (which isn't true) and calls would be cheaper etc etc.
I've managed to get her to transfer everything over to bt as its much cheaper as she already has them for broadband and wanted bt vision.
She has since had a bill from elite calls stating she must pay a termination fee of £395, she wasn't told about this at any point.
Where do i go from here, i've read online that what there doing is illegal and that also rollover contracts are no longer allowed as of last year, they have never mentioned anything about renewing the contract.
Don't understand how they can attempt to charge such a ridicoulous amount after being with a company for so long.

Comments

• Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Options
    Afraid it is in their small print, and she should have checked the T&Cs before switching to them. As for being a 'part' of BT, read their service is supplied in 'assosciation' with BT (Openreach) as they need a BT supplied line in which to offer their service.
  • beautyqueen88
    beautyqueen88 Posts: 296 Forumite
    edited 1 February 2012 at 3:58PM
    Options
    Just a quick update for anyone else with this problem, i sent them an email explaining why i was making a complaint against them, and how i felt i (my mum) had been missold the product in the first place as she was told it was a 12 month contract not a 5 year one and we had never received any terms and conditions in the post.

They called me a few days later and asked what i wanted them to do about it, i told them i didn't mind paying a reasonable termination fee but £395+ vat was plain silly. he then asked me what i felt was a 'reasonable' fee to which i said £80, don't know where i plucked that figure from but it sounds a lot better that the original sum.

He put me on hold for a while, and when he came back on he said to bring this to an end as they didnt want it to go any further (i had stated in my email i would complain to ofcom etc) they would let me pay £80 and that would be the end of it.

So dont be afraid to complain if you feel they wern't honest in the first place, and if your thinking about joining elite calls don't do it!
  • Geckogirl
    Geckogirl Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi, I just wondered how you were getting on - Has the £80 closed the dispute?
    When was all of this dealt with by the way, do you know that Elite stopped trading earlier this year. Were bought out by Unicom who are one of the biggest bandits on the face of the Telecommunications world !
    I am an Elite customer and am facing the same problems, so my heart goes out to you and your mum. I really hope it is all sorted for you x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure