We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

its 2012 so what will you be growing this year?

Options
earlier tonight my kids ages 3 and 5 were quiet reading the T&M catalog. They want to grow grapes:eek:
MF aim 10th December 2020 :j:eek:
MFW 2012 no86 OP 0/2000 :D

Comments

• wallbash
    wallbash Posts: 17,775 Forumite
    Options
    Grapes are good , wine making at 3/5 I would have a word with their parents!

Wot's going to be grown for the first time ........... A climbing Courgette ( back page of the TM Catalogue)

Have the seeds .......... all four of them
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Fast tomatoes. I grew some last year from a cross based on 'Latah' and had the first fruit on 9th June.:D They were horrible plants to look at, but the toms were OK and I culled them anyway when the mainstream crop was going well.

I then took cuttings from the ordinary plants in July, and thanks to our daft weather, I'm enjoying those now. :)

I wouldn't grow grapes from seed, but there are loads of interesting things out there to try. Some will turn out to be less than exciting, such as amaranth, but others, like the coriander replacement, quillquina, will make up for that.

This year I think I'll have a go at okra. :cool:
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,856 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 January 2012 at 2:50AM
    Options
    I wish I could decide which first early spuds to grow! Since taking on my current garden I've tried Foremost, Lady Christl, Maris Piper, International Kidney and Charlotte (in bags and/or raised beds) and though the crops have been fine, nothing has tasted really special. The last really good tasting spud I grew was in my previous place - and that was dear old Pink Fir Apple.

Where's this 'wonderful just-dug flavour' people wax lyrical about? Have I lost my taste buds?
  • Kazipoo
    Kazipoo Posts: 806 Forumite
    Options
    We didn't end up having a very good year at all last year.... with anything :( so this year I want to take extra special care and attention and make sure I grow my veggies well.
    Starting weight 17st 4lb - weight now 15st 2lbs

30lb lost of 30lb by June 2012 :j:j:j (80lb overall goal)

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    More runner beans..I dry them for cooking in the winter.
    No more celeriac and turnips and swedes..land is too light.
    Like your idea Dave of early toms.
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    No more celeriac ..land is too light.

Ah, maybe that's what it is. My celeric was poor too.:(

My aim is to get toms 8 months of the year and peppers for 7 months, but it depends upon the winter we experience. Peppers are never cheap, but the fast ones I've tried so far have been disappointing.
  • angelavdavis
    angelavdavis Posts: 4,714 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 4 January 2012 at 12:51PM
    Options
    A._Badger wrote: »
    I wish I could decide which first early spuds to grow! Since taking on my current garden I've tried Foremost, Lady Christl, Maris Piper, International Kidney and Charlotte (in bags and/or raised beds) and though the crops have been fine, nothing has tasted really special. The last really good tasting spud I grew was in my previous place - and that was dear old Pink Fir Apple.

Where's this 'wonderful just-dug flavour' people wax lyrical about? Have I lost my taste buds?

I planted red duke of yorks last year - they were delicious.

Charlotte can be left in a bit longer than earlies.

I had a mixed year this year -
    - broad beans started well
    - mange tout and peas were good
    - potatoes (charlottes, red DOY and heritage variety I got from Borough Rd market) were all pretty good
    - onions - I lost half to white rot
    - shallots - I lost all to white rot
    - garlic - I lost a third to white rot
    - chard - very good, we got sick of it so will grow less this year
    - celery - ditto chard
    - runner beans - ditto chard
    - beetroot - not bad
    - sweetcorn - excellent but raided by badgers
    - cabbages - excellent but covered 100% to prevent cabbage white and pigeon attacks
    - carrots grown in very large pots

salads, everything else went very well although parsnips were a disaster.

Tomatoes actually were OK but the larger sized ones were disappointing. I will be growing less cherry tom style and more reliable ones like gardeners delight this year. I even bought a grafted one which was rubbish!

Peppers and chillis were disappointing this year after a fab 2010. So I am starting these off earlier this year. I am going to try to grow earlier strawberries this year - I have lots of runners ready to pot up in the greenhouse so we have an earlier crop. I am saving plastic milk bottles to have a hanging strawberry wall at the side of the plot.
    :D Thanks to MSE, I am mortgage free!:D
  • radiohelen
    radiohelen Posts: 373 Forumite
    Options
    Definitely tomatillos and squashes in whatever form I can get them. I'll give carrots another go... I regularly fail with them. Onions and cucumbers thanks to a bread and butter pickle recipe that's making me VERY happy right now. Salad potatoes. Lettuce, tomatos, radish, more herbs! I think I'll knock sweetcorn on the head this year. Beans, beetroot and parsnips all did well so more of those. It was a weird year this year and I'm going to put some irrigation measures in. Lots of upturned bottles and things to make watering easier.
    Well behaved women rarely make history.
  • kazire
    kazire Posts: 472 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi all this is the first year I have had my greenhouse at the beginning of the season I always over sow seeds for everything and end up with far too many plants am either thinking to sell these or cut down on the amount I sow?! So I am going to try my hardest for a cucumber this year focusing on a few plants rather than a overwhelming greenhouse.

Last year my nan bought me 4 mini fruit trees and I am really hoping that they will come back to life
  • teapackets
    teapackets Posts: 198 Forumite
    Options
    Ken68 wrote: »
    More runner beans..I dry them for cooking in the winter.
    No more celeriac and turnips and swedes..land is too light.

I've never heard of drying beans before - is there a knack to it and how do you store / cook them ?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 2 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport